Han Xia, Ph.D, was appointed as Professor (Youth) at the Wuhan Institute of Virology, Chinese Academy of Sciences, China in April 2016. She is a member of the National Biosafety Review Committee of the Microbiology and Biomedical Laboratories for Human Infectious Diseases (3rd), the editor of BMC Infectious Diseases, and Zoonoses. Her research fields focus on arbovirus surveillance, novel virus discovery, and virus-mosquito interaction through classical method of virology (eg. cell culture, animal model, mosquito infection platform, virus-mosquito-animal transmission model), next generation sequencing, and single cell sequencing. In addition, she has been acquired the independent access certification for BSL-2/BSL-3/BSL-4 laboratory both from Galveston National Laboratory in the USA and the Wuhan National Biosafety Laboratory in China, with rich experience in laboratory biosafey. For these lines of research Dr. Xia has been able to obtain funding from: National Natural Science Foundation of China, the Ministry of Science and Technology of China, and the Hubei Health Committee, China. She published more than 30 papers in the journals for the field of virology and biosafety, including journals such as Emerging Infectious Disease, mSystems, Plos Neglected Tropical Diseases, Reviews in Medical Virology, and Frontiers in Microbiology.
Her research interest is the epidemiology, diagnoses, and evolution of arbovirus, and laboratory biosafety.
2008, M.S. College of Life Science, Wuhan University
2011, Ph.D. Wuhan institute of virology, Chinese Academy of Science
2021/10-present, Professor (Youth), Wuhan Institute of Virology, Chinese Academy of Sciences
2016/04-2021/10, Associate Professor, Wuhan Institute of Virology, Chinese Academy of Sciences
2013/10-2016/03, Postdoc fellow, Univeristy of Texas Medical Branch, USA
2011/07-2013/10, Assistant Professor, Wuhan Institute of Virology, Chinese Academy of Sciences
1. Nanjie Ren#, Shunlong Wang#, Chenyan Shi, Ping Yu, Lu Zhao, Doudou Huang, Haixia Ma, Shuqi Xiao, Fei Wang, Zhiming Yuan*, Han Xia*. Dynamic surveillance of mosquitoes and their viromes in Wuhan during 2020. Zoonoses. 2021, 1:8.
2. Jiping Liu#, Junbang Wang#, Jinfang Xu*, Han Xia*, Yue Wang#, Chunxue Zhang, Wei Chen, Huina Zhang, Qi Liu, Rong Zhu, Yiqi Shi, Zihao Shen, Zhonggang Xing, Wenxia Gao, Liqiang Zhou, Jinliang Shao, Jiayu Shi, Xuejiao Yang, Yaxuan Deng, Li Wu, Changhong Zheng, Wenmin Zhu, Congrong Wang*, Yi E. Sun*, Zhongmin Liu*Comprehensive investigations revealed consistent patho-physiological alterations after vaccination with COVID-19 vaccines. Cell Discovery. 2021 (accepted).
3. Nanjie Ren#, Xiaoyu Wang#, Mengying Liang#, Shen Tian, Christabel Ochieng, Lu Zhao, Doudou Huang, Qianfeng Xia, Zhiming Yuan* and Han Xia*. Characterization of a novel reassortment Tibet orbivirus isolated from Culicoides spp. in Yunnan, China. Journal of General Virology. 2021;102:001645.
4. Lu Zhao#, Evans Atoni#, Raphael Nyaruba, Yao Du, Huaiyu Zhang, Oscar Donde, Doudou Huang, Shuqi Xiao, Nanjie Ren, Teng Ma, Zhu Shu, Zhiming Yuan, Lei Tong*, and Han Xia*. Environmental surveillance of SARS-CoV-2 RNA in wastewater systems and related environments in Wuhan: April to May of 2020. Journal of Environmental Sciences. 2022,112:115-120.
5. Yuhan Yao#, Na Zhao#, Wenwen Jing, Qi Liu, Huijun Lu, Wei Zhao , Wang Zhao, Zhiming Yuan, Han Xia* and Guodong Sui*. A self-powered rapid-loading microfluidic chip for high-throughput analysis of vector-borne viruses. Sensors and Actuators B. Chemical. 2021,333:129521.
6. Lu Zhao#, Huanle Luo#, Doudou Huang, Ping Yu, Qiannan Dong, Caroline K. Mwaliko, Evans Atoni, Raphael Nyaruaba, Jiangling Yuan, Guilin Zhang, Dennis A. Bente, Zhiming Yuan* and Han Xia*. Pathogenesis and immune response of Ebinur Lake Virus: A newly identified orthobunyavirus that exhibited strong virulence in mice. Frontiers in Microbiology. 2021,11:625661.
7. Guoguo Ye, Yujuan Wang, Xiaoyun Liu, Qiannan Donga, Quanxin Cai,Zhiming Yuan* and Han Xia*. Transmission competence of a new mesonivirus, Yichang virus, in mosquitoes and its interference with representative flaviviruses.PLOS Neglected Tropical Disease.2020, 14(11): e0008920.
8. Caroline Mwaliko, Raphael Nyaruaba, Lu Zhao, Evans Atoni, Samuel Karungu, Matilu Mwau, Dimitri Lavillette, Han Xia* and Zhiming Yuan*.Zika virus Pathogenesis and Current Therapeutic Advances. Pathogens and Global Health, 2020,14:1-19.
9. Evans Atoni#, Lu Zhao#, Cheng Hu, Nanjie Ren, Xiaoyu Wang, Mengying Liang, Caroline Mwaliko, Zhiming Yuan*and Han Xia*. A dataset of distribution and diversity of mosquito-associated viruses and their mosquito vectors in China. Scientific Data,2020,7:342.
10. Chenyan Shi#, Lu Zhao#, Evans Atoni, Weifeng Zeng, Xiaomin Hu, Jelle Matthijnssens, Zhiming Yuan*, Han Xia*. The stability of the virome in lab and field-collected Aedes albopictus across different developmental stages, and possible core viruses in the publically available virome data of Aedes mosquitoes. mSystems. 2020,5(5):e00640-20.
11. Han Xia, Evans Atoni, Lu Zhao, Nanjie Ren, Doudou Huang, Rongjuan Pei, Zhen Chen, Jin Xiong, Raphael Nyaruaba, Shuqi Xiao, Bo Zhang, Zhiming Yuan. SARS-CoV-2 Does Not Replicate in Aedes Mosquito Cells nor Present in Field-Caught Mosquitoes from Wuhan. Virologica Sinica. 2020, June.
12. Han Xia#, Ran Liu#, Lu Zhao#, Xiang Sun, Zhong Zheng, Evans Atoni, Xiaomin Hu, Bo Zhang, Guilin Zhang*, Zhiming Yuan*.Characterization of Ebinur Lake virus and its human seroprevalence at the China-Kazakhstan border. Frontiers in Microbiology. 2020,10:3111.
13. Lu Zhao#, Caroline Mwaliko, Evans Mongare Atoni, Yujuan Wang, Yunzhi Zhang, Jianbo Zhang, Xiaomin Hu, Han Xia*, Zhiming Yuan*. Characterization of a novel Tanay virus isolated from Anopheles sinensis mosquitoes in Yunnan, China. Frontiers in Microbiology. 2019,10:1963.
14. Evans Atoni#, Lu Zhao#, Samuel Karungu, Vincent, Obanda, Bernard Agwanda, Han Xia*, Zhiming Yuan*. The Discovery and Global Distribution of Novel Mosquito-associated viruses in the Last Decade (2007-2017). Reviews in Medical virology. 2019,29(6):e2079.
15. Han Xia#, Yi Huang, Haixia Ma, Bobo Liu, Weiwei Xie, Donglin Song, Zhiming Yuan*. Biosafety Level 4 Laboratory User Training Program, China. Emerging Infectious Disease. 2019, 25(5).
16. Han Xia*, Na Zhao, Yujuan Wang, Wang Zhao, Zhiming Yuan* Rapid detection of Banna virus by reverse transcription-loop-mediated isothermal amplification (RT-LAMP). International Journal of Infectious Diseases. 2019;78:93-98.
17. Han Xia#, Hong Liu,# Lu Zhao, Evans Atoni, Yujuan Wang, Zhiming Yuan*. First Isolation and Characterization of a Group C Banna Virus (BAV) from Anopheles sinensisMosquitoes in Hubei, China. Viruses. 2018,10(10). pii: E555.
18. Han Xia#, Yujuan Wang#, Chenyan Shi, Evans Atoni, Lu Zhao, Zhiming Yuan*. Comparative Metagenomic Profiling of Viromes Associated with Four Common Mosquito Species in China. Virologica Sinica, 2018,33:5-20.
19. Han Xia#, Yujuan Wang, Evans Atoni, Bo Zhang, Zhiming Yuan*. Mosquito-associated viruses in China. Virologica Sinica, 2018, 33:5-20.
20. Han Xia#, Andrew Beck, Aysen Gargili, Naomi Forrester, Alan Barrett, Dennis Bente*. Transstadial Transmission and Long-term Association of Crimean-Congo Hemorrhagic Fever Virus in Ticks Shapes Genome Plasticity. Scientific Reports. 2016, 6, 35819.
21. Han Xia#, Cheng Hu, Dake Zhang, Shuang Tang, Zhong Zhang, Zheng Kou, Zhaojun Fan, Dennis Bente, Changqing Zeng*, Tianxian Li*. Metagenomic profile of the viral communities in Rhipicephalus spp. ticks from Yunnan, China. PLoS One, 2015, 10:e0121609.
赵路 博士研究生 071005-微生物学
梁梦莹 硕士研究生 085238-生物工程
任南洁 博士研究生 071005-微生物学
杨辞寒 博士研究生 071005-微生物学
黄伊 硕士研究生 071005-微生物学
王小钰 博士研究生 071005-微生物学
吴群 博士研究生 071005-微生物学
李兆麟 硕士研究生 071010-生物化学与分子生物学
Honors & Distinctions
1. Member of the National Biosafety Review Committee of the Microbiology and Biomedical Laboratories for Human Infectious Diseases
2. Member of Biosafety Advisory Committee of Westlake University
3. Member of Editorial Board of BMC Infectious Diseases
4. Member of Editorial Board of Zoonoses
5. Guest editor of Frontiers in Microbiology
6. Member of Younger Committte of Hubei Provincial Federation of Returned Overseas Chinese