Han Xia, Ph.D, was appointed as professor at the Wuhan Institute of Virology, and the deputy director of microbiology branch of Sino-Africa Joint Research Center, Chinese Academy of Sciences. She is a member of the National Biosafety Review Committee of the Microbiology and Biomedical Laboratories for Human Infectious Diseases (3rd), the editor of BMC Infectious Diseases and Zoonoses. Her research fields focus on arbovirus discovery and the risk assessment. In addition, she has been acquired the independent access certification for BSL-2/BSL-3/BSL-4 laboratory both from Galveston National Laboratory (USA) and the Wuhan National Biosafety Laboratory (China), with rich experience in laboratory biosafey. For these lines of research Dr. Xia has been able to obtain funding from: National Natural Science Foundation of China, the Ministry of Science and Technology of China, and the Alliance of International Science Organizations (ASNO). She published more than 60 papers in the journals for the field of virology and biosafety, including journals such as Emerging Infectious Disease, mSystems, Scientific Data, Plos Neglected Tropical Diseases, and Reviews in Medical Virology.
Arbovirus： including arbovirus surveillance, mosquito virome, novel virus discovery and taxonomy, virus-mosquito interaction through both classical and modern method of virology.
Biosafety：field and laboratory biosafety.
2008, M.S. College of Life Science, Wuhan University
2011, Ph.D. Wuhan institute of virology, Chinese Academy of Science
2021/10-present, Professor (Youth), Wuhan Institute of Virology, Chinese Academy of Sciences
2016/04-2021/10, Associate Professor, Wuhan Institute of Virology, Chinese Academy of Sciences
2013/10-2016/03, Postdoc fellow, Univeristy of Texas Medical Branch, USA
2011/07-2013/10, Assistant Professor, Wuhan Institute of Virology, Chinese Academy of Sciences
1. Guoguo Ye#, Zhixiang Xu, Minghui Yang, Jun Wang, Jinghu Liang, Juzhen Yin, Yang Yang, Han Xia*, Yingxia Liu*. Clinical features and transmission risk analysis of Dengue virus infections in Shenzhen, during 2014-2019. Computational and Structural Biotechnology Journal, 2023,21:3728-3735.
2. Jinxin Meng#, Fei Wang#, Yuwen He, Nan Li, Zhenxing Yang, Jun Yao, Shunlong Wang, Guodian Xiong, Han Xia*, Jinglin Wang*. In vivo and in vitro characterization of a new Oya virus isolate from Culicoides spp. and its seroprevalence in domestic animals in Yunnan, China. PLoS Negl Trop Dis, 2023, 17(6): e0011374.
3. Ying Huang#, Shunlong Wang#, Hong Liu#, Evans Atoni, Fei Wang, Wei Chen, Zhaolin Li, Sergio Rodriguez, Zhiming Yuan, Zhaoyan Ming*, Han Xia*. A global dataset of sequence, diversity and biosafety recommendation of arbovirus and arthropod-specific virus. Scientific Data, 2023, 10:305.
4. Mengying Liang#, Wanbo Tai#,Yunyun Wang#, Yulong Dai, Yanfeng Yao, Juan Min , Yiwu Zhou, Liang Liu, Chao Shan, Han Xia*, Zhiming Yuan*. SARS-CoV-2 infection induced testicular injury in Rhesus macaque. Virologica Sinica, 2022,37(6):934-937.
5. Nanjie Ren#, Fei Wang#, Lu Zhao, Shunlong Wang, Guilin Zhang, Jiaqi Li, Bo Zhang, Jinglin Wang, Eric Bergeron, Zhiming Yuan*, Han Xia*. Efficient rescue of a newly classified Ebinur lake orthobunyavirus with GFP reporter and its application in rapid antiviral screening. Antiviral Research.2022, 105421.
6. Cihan Yang#, Fei Wang#, Doudou Huang, Haixia Ma, Lu Zhao, Guilin Zhang, Hailong Li, Qian Han, Dennis Bente, Ferdinand Villanueva Salazar, Zhiming Yuan*, Han Xia*. Vector competence and immune response of Aedes aegypti for Ebinur Lake virus, a newly classified mosquito-borne orthobunyavirus.PLOS Neglected Tropical Disease.2022, 16(7): e0010642.
7. Doudou Huang#,Haixia Ma#,Lu Zhao,Xiaoyu Wang,Yi Huang,Fei Wang,Zhiming Yuan*, Han Xia*. A method of mosquito-associated virus isolation and amplification from field-collected mosquitoes. Journal of Visualized Experiments.2022,185,e63852.
8. Fei Wang#, Cihan Yang#, Shunlong Wang, Qun Wu, Christabel Ochieng, Zhiming Yuan*, Han Xia*.Experimental Viral Infection in Adult Mosquitoes by Oral Feeding and Microinjection. Journal of Visualized Experiments.2022,185,e63830.
9. Yi Huang#, HQ Zhang#, Xiaodan Li, Lu Zhao, Dirui Cai, Shunlong Wang, Nanjie Ren, Haixia Ma, Doudou Huang, Fei Wang , Zhiming Yuan, Bo Zhang*, Han Xia*. In vitro and in vivo characterization of a new strain of Mosquito flavivirus derived from Culicoides. Viruses.2022,14(6),1298.
10. Ge Gao#, Xue Hu#, Yiwu Zhou#, Juhong Rao, Xiaoyu Zhang, Jiaxuan Zhao, Kunpeng Liu, Mengying Liu, Hang Liu, Yun Peng, Yanfeng Yao, Fei Deng, Han Xia*, Chao Shan*, Zhiming Yuan*. Infection and pathogenesis of the Delta variant of SARS-CoV-2 in Rhesus macaque.Virologica Sinica.2022,37(2):299-302.
11. Dali Tong#, Mei Zhang#, Yunru Yang#, Han Xia#, Haiyang Tong, Huajun Zhang, Weihong Zeng, Muziying Liu, Yan Wu, Huan Ma, Xue Hu, Weiyong Liu, Yuan Cai, Yanfeng Yao, Yichuan Yao, Kunpeng Liu, Shifang Shan, Yajuan Li, Ge Gao, Weiwei Guo, Yun Peng, Shaohong Chen, Juhong Rao, Jiaxuan Zhao, Juan Min, Qingjun Zhu, Yanmin Zheng, Lianxin Liu, Chao Shan, Kai Zhong, Zilong Qiu*, Tengchuan Jin*, Sandra Chiu*, Zhiming Yuan*, Tian Xue1*. Single-dose AAV-based vaccine induces a high level of neutralizing antibodies against SARS-CoV-2 in rhesus macaques. Protein&Cell.2022
12. Han Xia*, Zhiming Yuan. High-containment facilities and the role they play in global health security. Journal of Biosafety and Biosecurity. 2022, 1:4.
13. Nanjie Ren#, Shunlong Wang#, Chenyan Shi, Ping Yu, Lu Zhao, Doudou Huang, Haixia Ma, Shuqi Xiao, Fei Wang, Zhiming Yuan*, Han Xia*. Dynamic surveillance of mosquitoes and their viromes in Wuhan during 2020. Zoonoses. 2021, 1:8.
14. Jiping Liu#, Junbang Wang#, Jinfang Xu#, Han Xia#, Yue Wang#, Chunxue Zhang, Wei Chen, Huina Zhang, Qi Liu, Rong Zhu, Yiqi Shi, Zihao Shen, Zhonggang Xing, Wenxia Gao, Liqiang Zhou, Jinliang Shao, Jiayu Shi, Xuejiao Yang, Yaxuan Deng, Li Wu, Changhong Zheng, Wenmin Zhu, Congrong Wang*, Yi E. Sun*, Zhongmin Liu*. Comprehensive investigations revealed consistent patho-physiological alterations after vaccination with COVID-19 vaccines. Cell Discovery. 2021,7:99.
15. Nanjie Ren#, Xiaoyu Wang#, Mengying Liang#, Shen Tian, Christabel Ochieng, Lu Zhao, Doudou Huang, Qianfeng Xia, Zhiming Yuan* and Han Xia*. Characterization of a novel reassortment Tibet orbivirus isolated from Culicoides spp. in Yunnan, China. Journal of General Virology. 2021;102:001645.
16. Lu Zhao#, Evans Atoni#, Raphael Nyaruba, Yao Du, Huaiyu Zhang, Oscar Donde, Doudou Huang, Shuqi Xiao, Nanjie Ren, Teng Ma, Zhu Shu, Zhiming Yuan, Lei Tong*, and Han Xia*. Environmental surveillance of SARS-CoV-2 RNA in wastewater systems and related environments in Wuhan: April to May of 2020. Journal of Environmental Sciences. 2022,112:115-120.
17. Yuhan Yao#, Na Zhao#, Wenwen Jing, Qi Liu, Huijun Lu, Wei Zhao , Wang Zhao, Zhiming Yuan, Han Xia* and Guodong Sui*. A self-powered rapid-loading microfluidic chip for high-throughput analysis of vector-borne viruses. Sensors and Actuators B. Chemical. 2021,333:129521.
18. Lu Zhao#, Huanle Luo#, Doudou Huang, Ping Yu, Qiannan Dong, Caroline K. Mwaliko, Evans Atoni, Raphael Nyaruaba, Jiangling Yuan, Guilin Zhang, Dennis A. Bente, Zhiming Yuan* and Han Xia*. Pathogenesis and immune response of Ebinur Lake Virus: A newly identified orthobunyavirus that exhibited strong virulence in mice. Frontiers in Microbiology. 2021,11:625661.
19. Guoguo Ye, Yujuan Wang, Xiaoyun Liu, Qiannan Donga, Quanxin Cai,Zhiming Yuan* and Han Xia*. Transmission competence of a new mesonivirus, Yichang virus, in mosquitoes and its interference with representative flaviviruses. PLOS Neglected Tropical Disease.2020, 14(11): e0008920.
20. Caroline Mwaliko, Raphael Nyaruaba, Lu Zhao, Evans Atoni, Samuel Karungu, Matilu Mwau, Dimitri Lavillette, Han Xia* and Zhiming Yuan*.Zika virus Pathogenesis and Current Therapeutic Advances. Pathogens and Global Health, 2020,14:1-19.
21. Evans Atoni#, Lu Zhao#, Cheng Hu, Nanjie Ren, Xiaoyu Wang, Mengying Liang, Caroline Mwaliko, Zhiming Yuan*and Han Xia*. A dataset of distribution and diversity of mosquito-associated viruses and their mosquito vectors in China. Scientific Data,2020,7:342.
22. Chenyan Shi#, Lu Zhao#, Evans Atoni, Weifeng Zeng, Xiaomin Hu, Jelle Matthijnssens, Zhiming Yuan*, Han Xia*. The stability of the virome in lab and field-collected Aedes albopictus across different developmental stages, and possible core viruses in the publically available virome data of Aedes mosquitoes. mSystems. 2020,5(5):e00640-20.
23. Han Xia, Evans Atoni, Lu Zhao, Nanjie Ren, Doudou Huang, Rongjuan Pei, Zhen Chen, Jin Xiong, Raphael Nyaruaba, Shuqi Xiao, Bo Zhang, Zhiming Yuan. SARS-CoV-2 Does Not Replicate in Aedes Mosquito Cells nor Present in Field-Caught Mosquitoes from Wuhan. Virologica Sinica. 2020,35(3):355-358.
25. Han Xia#, Ran Liu#, Lu Zhao#, Xiang Sun, Zhong Zheng, Evans Atoni, Xiaomin Hu, Bo Zhang, Guilin Zhang*, Zhiming Yuan*.Characterization of Ebinur Lake virus and its human seroprevalence at the China-Kazakhstan border. Frontiers in Microbiology. 2020,10:3111.
26. Lu Zhao#, Caroline Mwaliko, Evans Mongare Atoni, Yujuan Wang, Yunzhi Zhang, Jianbo Zhang, Xiaomin Hu, Han Xia*, Zhiming Yuan*. Characterization of a novel Tanay virus isolated from Anopheles sinensis mosquitoes in Yunnan, China. Frontiers in Microbiology. 2019,10:1963.
27. Evans Atoni#, Lu Zhao#, Samuel Karungu, Vincent, Obanda, Bernard Agwanda, Han Xia*, Zhiming Yuan*. The Discovery and Global Distribution of Novel Mosquito-associated viruses in the Last Decade (2007-2017). Reviews in Medical virology. 2019,29(6):e2079.
28. Han Xia#, Yi Huang, Haixia Ma, Bobo Liu, Weiwei Xie, Donglin Song, Zhiming Yuan*. Biosafety Level 4 Laboratory User Training Program, China. Emerging Infectious Disease. 2019, 25(5).
29. Han Xia*, Na Zhao, Yujuan Wang, Wang Zhao, Zhiming Yuan* Rapid detection of Banna virus by reverse transcription-loop-mediated isothermal amplification (RT-LAMP). International Journal of Infectious Diseases. 2019;78:93-98.
30. Xiaoyun Liu#, Yi Liu, Qiuyan Zhang, Bo Zhang, Han Xia*, Zhiming Yuan*.Homologous RNA secondary structure duplications in 3’ untranslated region influence subgenomic RNA production and replication of dengue virus. Virology. 2018,524:114-126.
31. Han Xia#, Hong Liu#, Lu Zhao, Evans Atoni, Yujuan Wang, Zhiming Yuan*. First Isolation and Characterization of a Group C Banna Virus (BAV) from Anopheles sinensisMosquitoes in Hubei, China. Viruses. 2018,10(10). pii: E555.
32. Han Xia#, Yujuan Wang#, Chenyan Shi, Evans Atoni, Lu Zhao, Zhiming Yuan*. Comparative Metagenomic Profiling of Viromes Associated with Four Common Mosquito Species in China. Virologica Sinica, 2018,33:5-20.
33. Han Xia, Yujuan Wang, Evans Atoni, Bo Zhang, Zhiming Yuan*. Mosquito-associated viruses in China. Virologica Sinica, 2018, 33:5-20.
34. Han Xia, Andrew Beck, Aysen Gargili, Naomi Forrester, Alan Barrett, Dennis Bente*. Transstadial Transmission and Long-term Association of Crimean-Congo Hemorrhagic Fever Virus in Ticks Shapes Genome Plasticity. Scientific Reports. 2016, 6, 35819.
35. Han Xia, Cheng Hu, Dake Zhang, Shuang Tang, Zhong Zhang, Zheng Kou, Zhaojun Fan, Dennis Bente, Changqing Zeng*, Tianxian Li*. Metagenomic profile of the viral communities in Rhipicephalus spp. ticks from Yunnan, China. PLoS One, 2015, 10:e0121609.
36. Han Xia, Jiuru Zhao, Yongdong Li, Shiyu Yin, Shuang Tang, Zhong Zhang, Jingfeng Yu, Zheng Kou, Zhaojun Fan, Tianxian Li*.Infection and propagation of Crimean-Congo hemorrhagic fever virus in embryonated chicken eggs. Virus Research, 2013,173(2):344-349.
37. Han Xia, Peng Li, Jialin Yang, Limin Pan, Jiuru Zhao, Zhengyou Wang, Yan Li,Hongpin Zhou, Ying Dong, Shan Guo, Shuang Tang, Zhong Zhang, Zhaojun Fan, Zhihong Hu, Zheng Kou*, Tianxian Li*. Epidemiological survey of Crimean-Congo hemorrhagic fever virus in Yunnan, China, 2008. International Journal of Infectious Disease, 2011, e459-e463.
赵路 博士研究生 071005-微生物学
梁梦莹 硕士研究生 085238-生物工程
黄伊 硕士研究生 071005-微生物学
任南洁 博士研究生 071005-微生物学
杨辞寒 博士研究生 071005-微生物学
王小钰 博士研究生 071005-微生物学
吴群 博士研究生 071005-微生物学
李兆麟 硕士研究生 071010-生物化学与分子生物学
耿敬可 硕士研究生 071005-微生物学
熊国典 硕士研究生 100103-病原生物学
汪顺龙 博士研究生 071005-微生物学
Honors & Distinctions
1. Member, National Biosafety Review Committee of the Microbiology and Biomedical Laboratories for Human Infectious Diseases
2. Member, Biosafety Advisory Committee of Westlake University
3. Vice Chairman, Wuhan Research Association for Science Popularization
4. Member, Editorial Board of BMC Infectious Diseases
5. Member, Editorial Board of Zoonoses
6. Member, Younger Committte of Hubei Provincial Federation of Returned Overseas Chinese