Rong Xue, Ph.D., Professor
Address: Bldg 11, 15 Datun Road, Chao Yang District
Beijing 100101 P.R.China
Telephone: +86-10-64888462 ext 107(office)
High-field magnetic resonance imaging, RF transmit/receive array coil design and construction, diffusion and perfusion MRI, fast imaging, advance fMRI technology for cognitive neuroscience studies, application of MR technologies to human and animal models with different diseases.
The Johns Hopkins University, School of Medicine Baltimore, Maryland
Doctor of Philosophy, Biomedical Engineering, August, 2001
The Ohio State University Columbus, Ohio
Master of Science, Biomedical Engineering, March 1993
Tsinghua University Beijing, P. R. China
Bachelor of Engineering, Electrical Engineering, January 1989
Oct 2015 — Present Professor in Sino-Danish College, University of Chinese Academy of Sciences
Oct 2007 — Present Professor in the State Key Laboratory of Brain and Cognitive Science, Institute of Biophysics, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing, P. R. China
Aug 2005 — Aug 2007 Research engineer in the Center for Biomedical Imaging (CBI), Dept. of Radiology The New York University, School of Medicine, New York, NY 10016, USA
Oct 2004 — July 2005 Research associate faculty in the MR Research Division, Dept. of Radiology, The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
Dec 2001 — Sept 2004 Post-doctoral fellow in the MR Research Division, Dept. of Radiology, The Johns Hopkins University, School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
April 1993 — June 1994 Research assistant in the Vascular Disease Laboratory, Biomedical Engineering Center, The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH 43210, USA
1. Mark and Mary Stevens Neuroimaging and Informatics Institute, University of Southern California, USA
2. Martinos Biomedical Imaging Center, Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard University
3. School of Information Technology and Eletrical Engineering. The University of Queensland, Brisbane, Australia.
4. Max Plank Institute for Human Cognitive and Brain Sciences
5. Siemens Healthineer Ltd., China, MR Group
K. Sun, J.F. Cui, R. Xue*, T. Jiang, B. Wang, Z.H. Zhang, …, S. Liang*, X.G. Yu, L. Chen. New imaging features of tuberous sclerosis complex: A 7T MRI study. NMR Biomed. 34(9): e4565. doi:10.1002 /nbm.4565, Sept. 2021. *: Co-corresponding authors
Opheim G, van der Kolk A., Bloch K.M., van de Moortele P.-F., …, Liang S., …, Xue R., Guerrini R., Guye M., et al. 7T Epilepsy Task Force Consensus Recommendations on the use of 7T in Clinical Practice. Neurology, 96(7):327-341, Feb 2021.
Liu, Liang , H. Cui, Sun, Xue*, Liang*, et al. Clinical Application of 7T Magnetic Resonance Imaging in Patients with Focal Cortical Dysplasia IIa and Epilepsy. . DOI: 10.1159/000511152, 2021.
doi.org/10.1002/cmr.b.21385. Sept. 2018.
K. Sun, J. Cui, B. Wang, T. Jiang, Z. Chen, F. Cong, Y. Zhuo, S. Liang*, R. Xue*, X. Yu, L. Chen. Magnetic resonance imaging of tuberous sclerosis complex with or without epilepsy at 7 T. Neuroradiology. 60(8):785-794, Aug. 2018. *: Corresponding authors.
Z. Chen, R. Xue*, P. Zhang, K. Sun, Z. Zuo, J. An, J. Chen, S. He, L. Chen*, D. J.J. Wang. Multi-phase passband balanced SSFP fMRI with 50 ms sampling rate at 7 Tesla enables high precision in resolving 100 ms neuronal events. Magn. Reson. Imaging 35:20-28, Jan. 2017.
X. Yan*, L. Wei, S. Chu, R. Xue, X. Zhang*. Eight-channel monopole array using ICE decoupling for human head MR imaging at 7T. Appl. Magn. Reson 47:527–538, April 2016.
Z. Zhang, X. Deng, D. Weng, J. An, Z. Zuo, B. Wang, N. Wei, J. Zhao, R. Xue*. Segmented TOF at 7 T MRI: Technique and clinical applications. Magn. Reson. Imaging 33 (9):1043–1050, Nov. 2015.
X. Yan, J.O. Pedersen, L. Wei, X. Zhang*, R. Xue*. Multichannel double-row transmission line array for human MR imaging at ultrahigh fields. IEEE-TBME. 62(6):1652-1659, June 2015.
X. Yan, R. Xue, X. Zhang. Closely Spaced Double-Row Microstrip RF Arrays for Parallel MR Imaging at Ultrahigh Fields. Appl. Magn. Reson. 46:1239–1248, June 2015.
X. Yan, L. Wei, R. Xue, X. Zhang. Hybrid Monopole/Loop Coil Array for Human Head MR Imaging at 7 T. Appl. Magn. Reson. 46:541–550, March 2015.
M. Li, J. Jin, Z. Zuo, F. Liu, A. Trakic, E. Weber, Y. Zhuo, R. Xue, S. Crozier, “In vivo sensitivity estimation and imaging acceleration with rotating RF coil arrays at 7 Tesla”. J. Magn. Reson. 252:29–40, March 2015.
X. Yan, X. Zhang*, L. Wei, R. Xue*, "Design and test of magnetic wall decoupling for dipole transmit/receive array for MR Imaging at the ultrahigh field of 7T". Appl. Magn. Reson. 46:59–66, Nov. 2014.
X. Yan, X. Zhang, B. Feng, C. Ma, L. Wei, R. Xue*, "7T transmit/receive arrays using ICE decoupling for human head MR imaging". IEEE T. Med. Imaging 33( 9): 1781-1787, Sept. 2014.
X. Yan, R. Xue*, X. Zhang*, "A monopole/loop dual-tuned RF coil for ultrahigh field MRI". Quant. Imaging Med. Surg. 4(4):225-231, Aug. 2014. *: Co-Corresponding authors. Paper selected as Cover Page.
R. Wang, SL Yu, JR Alger, Z. Zuo, J. Chen, B. Wang, JZ Zhao, R. Xue*, DJJ Wang, et al. "Multi-delay Arterial Spin Labeling Perfusion MRI in Moyamoya Disease – Comparison with CT Perfusion Imaging". Eur. Radiol. 24(5):1135–1144, May 2014.
X. Yan, C. Ma, L. Shi, Y. Zhuo, XJ Zhou, L. Wei, R. Xue*, "Optimization of an 8-channel loop-array coil for a 7T MRI system with the guidance of a co-simulation approach". Appl. Magn. Reson.45(5)：437-449, May 2014.
X. Yan, X. Zhang, L. Wei, R. Xue*, "Magnetic wall decoupling method for monopole coil array in ultrahigh field MRI: a feasibility test". Quant. Imaging Med. Surg. 4(2):79-86, April 2014. *: Corresponding author. Paper selected as Cover Page.
M. Li, Z. Zuo, J. Jin, R. Xue, A. Trakic, E. Weber, F. Liu, S. Crozier, "Highly accelerated acquisition and homogeneous image reconstruction with rotating RF coil array at 7 T—A phantom based study”. J. Magn. Reson. 240 :102–112, March 2014.
SL Yu，R. Wang, R. Wang, S. Wang, YQ Yao, Z. Zuo, R. Xue, DJJ Wang, JZ Zhao, et al. " Accuracy of Vessel-Encoded Pseudocontinuous Arterial Spin-Labeling in Identification of Feeding Arteries in Patients with Intracranial Arteriovenous Malformations". AJNR. 35(1):65-71, Jan 2014.
D. Liu, J. Zhou, R. Xue*, Z. Zuo, J. An, DJJ Wang, “Quantitative Characterization of NOE and APT Effects in the Human Brain at 7 Tesla”. Magn. Reson. Med. 70(5)：1070-1081, Nov. 2013.
Z. Zuo, R. Wang, Y. Zhuo, R. Xue, K. S. St. Lawrence, D. J. J. Wang, “Turbo-FLASH Based Arterial Spin Labeled Perfusion MRI at 7 T”. PLOS One 8(6). e66612. June 2013.
X. Wang, N. Chen, Z. Zuo, R. Xue*, J. Luo, Y Zhuo, DG Shen, K. Li*, “Probabilistic MRI Brain Anatomical Atlases Based on 1,000 Chinese Subjects”. PLOS One 8(1). e50939. Jan. 2013.
J. Jin, F. Liu, Z. Zuo, R. Xue, M. Li, Y. Li, E. Weber, S. Crozier, “Inverse field-based approach for simultaneous B1 mapping at high fields –A phantom based study”. J. Magn. Reson. 217:27-35, April 2012.
Y. Ye, Y. Zhuo, R. Xue, X.J. Zhou, “BOLD fMRI using a modified HASTE sequence”. NeuroImage 49:457-466, Jan 2010.
H. Huang, R. Xue, J. Zhang, L. Richards, P. Yarowsky, M. Miller, S. Mori, “Anatomical characterization of human fetal brain development with diffusion tensor magnetic resonance imaging”. J. Neurosci. 29(13):4263-73, April 2009.
Rong Xue, Huabin Zhu, Yanxia Li, Haoli Ma, Zhentao Zuo, Yan Zhuo. A novel parallel transmit and receive (Tx/Rx) radio frequency (rf) interface circuitry and a novel multi-channel Tx/Rx phased-array head coil. Invention patent number: ZL 201010215148.9, submitted on June 29th, 2010, authorized on Nov. 17th, 2012.
Zhentao Zuo, Rong Xue, Yanxia Li, Zhiguang Li, Xinqiang Yan, Yan Zhuo. A multi-channel transmit/receive head coil suitable for high and ultra-high MRI field. Utility Model patent number: ZL 201120299664.4, submitted on August 17th, 2011, approved on May 30th, 2012.
Xinqiang Yan, Rong Xue, Baotong Feng, Zhentao Zuo, Zhe Wang, Yanxia Li, Zhiguang Li, Yan Zhuo, chuangxin Ma, Long Wei. A multi-channel real-time SAR monitoring system and method for magnetic resonance imaging equipment. Invention patent number: ZL 201410503941.7, submitted on Sept. 26, 2014, authorized on April 20th, 2016.
Rong Xue, Zhentao Zuo, Xinqiang Yan, Lei Shi, Zhe Wang, Zhiguang Li, Suoda Chu, Yan Zhuo, Xiaoliang Zhang, Xiaohong Zhou. A dual-frequency RF head coil for multinuclear metabolism imaging in ultrahigh fields. Chinese Utility Model Patent No. ZL 201721169836.X, authorized on March 30th, 2018.
Kaibao Sun, Rong Xue, Zhentao Zuo, Danny JJ Wang, Yan Zhuo. A magnetic resonance imaging method for water-lipid separation. Chinese Invention Patent No. ZL 201711429634.9, authorized on Jan 15th, 2021.
1. High spatial- and temporal-resolutionin vivoimaging. Major Scientific & Research Instrument Developmental Grant, Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS), Oct. 2008 to Dec 2010.
2. Development of multiple-channel transmit/receive head coil with RF interface in 7T ultra high field. Innovative Method Grant, Ministry of Science and Technology of the People’s Republic of China (MOST), Oct 2009 to June 2011(2009IM030900).
3. Development on frontier technologies in MRI ultra-high field. Important Direction of the CAS Knowledge Innovation grant, Oct. 2009 to Dec. 2011 (KSCX2-YW-R-259).
4. RF system design and construction for a 9.4T ultra-high-field MRI metabolic imaging system. National Major Scientific Equipment Research and Developmental Project. Oct. 2010 to July 2020 (ZDYZ2010-2).
5. National Basic Science Research grant (MOST 973)：Cognitive brain imaging of feature binding and invariance perception. Dec. 2005 to Nov. 2010. (2005CB522800). Key research personnel
6. National Basic Science Research grant (MOST 973)：Primitive of cognition, Jan. 2012 – Dec. 2016, (2012CB825500). Key research personnel
7. National Natural Science Foundation of China grant (NSFC90820307): Cognitive computing of visual and auditory information. Jan 2009-Dec 2012. Key research personnel
8. National Natural Science Foundation of China grant (NSFC 91132302): Emotion and visual memory: their interaction and neural circuits study, Jan 2012 – Dec 2015. Key research personnel
9. Joint Fund of Haidian Original Innovation of Beijing Natural Science Foundation (L182055): High-resolution multi-delay ASL cerebral blood flow imaging and real-time post-processing. Dec. 2018 to Dec. 2021. Principal Investigator
10. National Natural Science Foundation of China grant (general project, NSFC 81871350): Fast fMRI with submillimeter high resolution at 7T ultrahigh field based on balanced steady-state free precession (bSSFP). Jan. 2019 to Dec. 2022. Principal Investigator
11. National Natural Science Foundation of China grant—international (regional) cooperation and exchange projects (NSFC 91132302)：BBB permeability imaging in CADASIL. Jan. 2020 – Dec. 2024. Key research personnel
* H. Liang, Z. Pan, C. Qian, K. Sun, H. Guo, D. JJ. Wang, R. Xue, etc. Magna Cum Laude Merit Award, 28th ISMRM online meeting, Aug. 8th to 14th, 2020.
* Z. Chen, R. Xue, J. An, K. Sun, Z. Zuo, P. Zhang, D. Wang. ISMRM Summa Cum Laude Merit Award, Singapore, May 7th-13th , 2016.
* Z. Zhang, D. Weng, J. An, Z. Zuo, B. Wang, R. Xue, etc. ISMRM Magna Cum Laude Merit Award, Toronto, Canada, May 30th – June 5th, 2015.
* X. Yan, L. Shi, L. Wei, Y. Zhuo, X. J. Zhou, R. Xue. Best student paper award, IEEE MMT-S international microwave workshop series on RF and wireless technologies for biomedical and healthcare applications. Singapore, Dec.9th-11th, 2013.
* D. Liu, J. Zhou, R. Xue, Z Zuo, J. An, D. Wang. ISMRM Magna Cum Laude Merit Award, May 10th-16th, Melbourne, May 10th-16th, 2012.
* 3rd-Class Poster Competition Award, Joint CSR, ISMRM and CSMRM Conference (last and corresponding author), Beijing, Aug. 18-20, 2011.
* Medtronic Inc Young Investigator Fellowship Award in Biomedical Engineering, 1999-2000.