-- Design and synthesis of polymer-based composites/nanocomposites;
-- Basalt mineral and corresponding fiber/FRP structures;
-- Separation science and technology;
-- System integration.
Ongoing Research Project
1. Carbon-based composite material for oil-water separation.
2. Aggregation-induced separation of oil from water: Theory, simulation and system integration.
3. Development of high-performance basalt fiber using nanotechnology.
4. Multifunctional fiber-based filter using basalt mineral: From Macroscale to nanoscale.
5. Advanced materials for separation science and technology.
08/2007-12/2007, Exchange PhD Student, Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology (KAIST), Daejeon, South Korea.
09/2001-06/2004, MSc, Lanzhou University (LZU), Lanzhou, China.
09/1997-07/2001, BSc, Lanzhou University (LZU), Lanzhou, China.
2. Course Title: Functional Polymer Materials (Given In English)
05/2012- Present, Professor, The Xinjiang Technical Institute of Physics and Chemistry- Chinese Academy of Sciences (XJIPC-CAS), Urumqi, China.
11/2018- Present, Director, Laboratory of Environmental Science and Technology, XJIPC-CAS, China.
05/2018, Fellow, The Royal Society of Chemistry, UK.
08/2019- Present, Co-founder, CAS-Realnm Separation Science and Technology Company, Wuxi, China.
Previous Working Experience
07/2015-08/2015, Visiting Scientist, Department of Wind Energy, Technical University of Denmark, Denmark.
03/2010-04/2012, Humboldt Research Fellow, Leibniz Institute of Polymer Research Dresden, Germany.
09/2008-02/2010, Visiting Scholar, The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, Hong Kong, China.
07/2004-08/2005, Chemical Engineer, Yunnan Reascend Company, Kunming, China.
Honors & Distinctions
1. 09/2022, Overseas Chinese Contribution Award (First Class), The All-China Federation of Returned Overseas Chinese.
2. 04/2021, World’s Top 2% Scientists 2020 (Both single year of 2019 and career long data), Stanford University.
3. 10/2020, Vebleo Fellow Award, Vebleo Company.
4. 11/2019, Excellent Young Scientist, Chinese Society for Composite Materials.
5. 05/2018, Fellow of the Royal Society of Chemistry, UK.
6. 11/2017, The 3rd Class in the Novel Material Session, China Innovation and Entrepreneurship Competition 2017 (Collaboration with industry).
7. 12/2016, Excellent Candidate for the Western Light Program, Chinese Academy of Sciences.
8. 05/2015, Composites Part A-- Editor's Top Reviewer Award 2015, Elsevier.
9. 04/2014, KC Wong Educational Fellowship (Hong Kong) for Academic Conference.
10.03/2010-04/2012, Humboldt Research Fellowship, Alexander von Humboldt Foundation, Germany.
11.11/2007, Best Student Paper Award, The 9th International Symposium on Electronic Materials and Packaging (EMAP-2007), Daejeon, South Korea.
12.11/2006, Golden Award of the Best Student Paper Competition, The 5th Asian-Australasian Conference on Composite Materials (ACCM-5), Hong Kong.
1. Ma PC, Kim JK. Carbon Nanotubes for Polymer Reinforcement. CRC Press, USA, 03/2011, Republished in 11/2017.
Selected Peer-reviewed Papers (Total: 95 papers, with > 8300 citations)
1. Lv CJ, Hao B, Yasin A*, Yue X, Ma PC*. Preparation of superhydrophilic poly(acrylonitrile/acrylic acid) electrospun membrane and its application in oil/water separation. Polymer, 2022, 258, 125292.
2. Ma Q, Hao B, Yue X, Ma PC. Matrix dominated positive/negative piezoresistance in conducting polymer nanocomposites reinforced by CNT foam. Polymer, 2022, 257, 125288.
3. Lv CJ, Hao B, Yasin A*, Yue X, Ma PC*. Molecular and structural design of polyacrylonitrile-based membrane for oil-water separation. Polymer, 2022, 253, 124969.
4. Song DS, Kadier A, Hao B, Xie HY*, Ma PC*. Separation of oil-water emulsions by a novel packed bed Electrocoagulation (EC) process using anode from recycled aluminum beverage cans. Journal of Cleaner Production, 2022, 379, 134693.
5. Ma FX, Hao B, Xi XY, Wang R, Ma PC. Aggregation-induced demulsification technology for the separation of highly emulsified oily wastewater produced in the petrochemical industry. Journal of Cleaner Production, 2022, 374, 134017.
6. Guo ZS, Xing D, Xi XY, Yue X, Liang CG, Hao B, Zhang QB, Gutnikov SI, Lazoryak BI, Ma PC*. Production of fiber material using lunar soil: feasibility, applicability and perspective. Advanced Fiber Materials, 2022, 4, 923-937.
7. Zhang YR, Meng BW, Hao B, Ma PC*. Aggregation-induced demulsification triggered by the hydrophilic fabric for the separation of highly emulsified oil droplets from water. Aggregate, 2022, 3, e131.
8. Ma Q, Hao B, Ma PC*. In-situ characterization on the fracture behavior of three dimensional polymer nanocomposites reinforced by CNT sponge. Composites Science and Technology, 2022, 217, 109132.
9. Lv P, Yashen A, Hao B, Ma PC*. Wheat bran/polymer composites as a solidifier to gel oil on water surface. Composites Communications, 2020, 22, 100471.
10.Xing D, Xi XY, Guo ZS, Yue X, Hao B, Liang CG, Gu YZ, Chen T, Wang R, Ma PC*. Study on the feasibility of preparing a continuous fiber using lunar soil simulant. Scientia Sinica Technologica, 2020, 5, 1625-1633.
11.Cai DL, Yue X*, Hao B, Ma PC*. A sustainable poly(vinyl chloride) plasticizer derivated from waste cooking oil. Journal of Cleaner Production, 2020, 274, 12278
12.Chang C, Yue X, Hao B, Xing D, Ma PC*. Direct growth of carbon nanotubes on basalt fiber for the application of electromagnetic interference shielding. Carbon, 2020, 167, 31-39.
13.Ma Q, Hao B, Ma PC*. Flexible sensor based on polymer nanocomposites reinforced by carbon nanotube foam derivated from cotton. Composites Science and Technology, 2020, 192, 108103.
14.Xing D, Xi XY, Ma PC*. Factors governing the tensile strength of basalt fiber. Composites Part A, 2019, 119, 127-133.
15.Hao B, Cui L, Mu L, Ma Q, Yang SD, Ma PC*. Stretchable and compressible strain sensor based on carbon nanotube foam/polymer nanocomposites with three dimensional networks. Composites Science and Technology, 2018, 163, 162-170.
16.Hao B, Förster T, Mäder E, Ma PC*. Modification of basalt fiber using pyrolytic carbon coating for sensing application. Composites Part A, 2017, 101, 123-128.
17.Rana M, Hao B, Mu L, Chen L, Ma PC*. Development of multi-functional cotton fabrics with Ag/AgBr-TiO2 nanocomposite coating. Composites Science and Technology, 2016, 122, 104-122.
18.Chen L, Yang S, Hao B, Ruan J, Ma PC*. Preparation of fiber-based plasmonic photocatalyst and its photocatalytic performance under the visible light. Applied Catalysis B: Environmental, 2015, 166-167, 287-294.
19.Ma PC*, Liu JW, Gao SL, Mäder E. Development of functional glass fibers using nanocomposites coating: A comparative study. Composites Part A, 2013, 44, 16-22。
20.Ma PC*, Zheng QB, Mäder E, Kim JK. Behavior of load transfer in functionalized carbon nanotube/epoxy nanocomposites. Polymer, 2012, 53, 6081-8.
1. Ma PC, Mu L, Chen JT. Method to collect floating oil on water surface. China Patent Application No.: 201510895435.1.
2. Ma PC, Hao B, Hu ML, Cui LF. A novel method to prepare carbon nanotube foam. China Patent No.: ZL 201510771000.6 (Licensed to industry).
3. Ma PC, Mu L, Chen JT, Yang SD. Superoleophilic polymer sponge and application therefore. China Patent No.: ZL 201410670208.4 (Licensed to industry).
4. Ma PC, Chen L, Yang SD. Method for the preparation of glass fibres loaded with Ag-AgBr-TiO2 nanoparticles. China Patent No.: 201310597479.7 (Licensed to industry).
5. Yang SD, Ma PC, Chen L, Wang CY. Method for the preparation of 3-dimensional graphene foam. China Patent No.: ZL 201310292634.4 (Licensed to industry).
6. Kim JK, Ma PC, Tang BZ, Hong SH, Mo CB, Jin SW. Method for attaching silver nanoparticles on carbon nanotubes. China Patent No.: ZL 200910142389.2.
7. Li YF, Ma PC, Zhou LC. Synthesis and application of novel polyurethane/SiOx nanoparticles composite foam. China Patent No.: ZL 2003 10121064.9 (Transferred and realized industry application).
8. Li YF, Zhou LC, Ma PC, Ye ZF, Wang KQ. A novel microorganism immobilization carrier based on hydrophilic polyurethane/active carbon composite. China Patent No.: 02141723.7 (Transferred).
9. Zhou LC, Li YF, Ma PC, Ye ZF, Wang KQ. Modulated bioreactor and process for waste water treatment. China Patent No.: 02143060.8. (Transferred).
1. Hao B, Ma PC. Fracture behavior of three dimensional polymer nanocomposites. The 4th China International Conference on Composite Materials, Zhuhai, 28-30/11/2019, Zhuhai, China.
2. Xing D, Hao B, Ma PC. Factors governing the mechanical properties of basalt fibers. The First International Conference on Basalt Fibers and Composites. 16-18/11/2019, Nanjing (Invited Speaker).
3. Ma PC. Polymer nanocomposites with controlled surface properties for oil-water separation. The 16th Pacific Polymer Conference. 8-12/12/2019, Singapore (Session Chair, Invited Speaker).
4. Ma PC. Application of AIE molecules for monitoring the healthy state of composites. The 3rd Symposium of Functional Materials. 29-31/03/2019, Beijing (Invited Speaker).
5. Ma PC，Factors governing the mechanical properties of basalt fiber, Academic visit to the Basalt Project Group Russia, 17-20/10/2018, Moscow.
6. Ma PC. Polymer nanocomposites for oil-water separation: from adsorption, gelation to the system integration. The 5th International Conference on Multi-Functional Materials and Structures (MFMS 2018), Shenyang, China, 10-13/06/2018 (Invited Speaker).
7. Hao B, Ma PC. Basalt fiber with pyrolytic carbon coating for sensory applications. The 21 International Conference on Composites Materials, Xi’An, China, 20-25/08/2017 (Chair for Fiber Sessions).
8. Hao B, Ma Q, Ma PC. Three dimensional polymer nanocomposites. The 8th International Symposium on Engineering Plastics (EP’-2017), Xi’An, China, 08-11/08/2017 (Invited Speaker).
9. Ma PC. Polymer nanocomposites reinforced by carbon nanomaterials-- From fundamental to applications. The 3rd Southeastern Mexico Workshop of Nanomaterials and Nanocomposites, Merida, Mexico, 11-15/10/2016 (Invited Speaker).
10. Ma PC. New solutions for the cleanup of spilled oil and chemical-- Design, synthesis and application of polymer nanocomposites. The 7th China Marine and Offshore Engineering Summit, Qingdao, China, 26-27/09/2016 (Invited Speaker).
11. Ma PC. Fundamental issues in polymer nanocomposites. Symposium for Young Scholars in Polymer Science 2016, Nanjing, China. 07-09/08/2016 (Session Chair, Invited Speaker).
12. Ma PC. Application of polymer materials for the cleanup of spilled oil in marine system. International Symposium on Marine Science and Technology, Zhuhai, China, 28-30/04/2016 (Invited Speaker).
13. Mu L, Ma PC. Polymer nanocomposites for oil-water separation. The 7th International Symposium on Engineering Plastics (EP’-2015). Xining, China, 18-21/08/2015 (Invited Speaker).
14. Cui LF, Ma PC. Development of polymer nanocomposites reinforced by carbon nanotubes with 3-D networks. The 20th International Conference on Composite Materials (ICCM-20), Copenhagen, Denmark, 19-24/07/2015 (Chair for Polymer Nanocomposites and Graphene Sessions).
15. Ma PC. Polymer nanocomposites for wind blade materials: Perspectives and challenges. International Symposium on Nanoengineered Composites. 07/15-17, 2015, Roskilde, Denmark (Invited Speaker).
16. Yang SD, Ma PC. Graphene foams for the adsorption of oils and organic solvents. The 9th Asian-Australasian Conference on Composite Materials, Suzhou, China, 14-17/10/2014 (Keynote Speaker, Session Chair).
17. Ma PC. Development of multi-functional glass fibres using carbon-based nanocomposite coating. The 63rd World Congress on Carbon- Carbon2014. Jeju, Korea, 29/06-04/07/2014(KC Wong Fellowship).
18. Hao B, Ma PC. Mapping of stress distribution along the fibre in FRPs using carbon-based nanomaterials. The 16th International Conference for Experimental Mechanics, Cambridge, UK, 06/07-11/07/2014.
19. Ma PC. Glass fibers with multi-functional capabilities for engineering and environmental applications. The 3rd International Conference on the Advancement of Materials and Nanotechnology. Penang, Malaysia, 11/2013 (Invited Speaker, Co-chairman of Symposium on Polymers and Composites).
20. Ma PC, Li J, Tang BZ, Kim JK. Conductive polymer nanocomposites filled with hybrid fillers of carbon nanotubes, carbon black and graphite nanoplates. Asian Workshop on Polymer Processing 2009 Penang, Malaysia, 12/2009 (Plenary Speaker, Session Chair).
21. Ma PC, Kim JK, Tang BZ, et al. Electrical conducting behavior of hybrid nanocomposites containing carbon nanotubes and carbon black. The 9th International Symposium on Electronic Materials and Packaging, Daejeon, South Korea, 11/2007 (Best Student Paper Award).
22. Ma PC, Kim JK, Tang BZ. Silane functionalization of carbon nanotubes (CNTs) and its effects on the properties of CNT/epoxy nanocomposites. The 16th International Conference on Composite Materials (ICCM-16), Kyoto, Japan, 07/2007 (Tsai Best Student Paper Competition Finalist).
23. Ma PC, Kim JK, Tang BZ. Functionalization of multi-walled carbon nanotubes using silane. The 5th Asian-Australasian Conference on Composite Materials (ACCM-5), Hong Kong, 11/2006 (Golden Award of the Best Student Paper Competition).
1. Dr Abudukeremu Kadier. Professor. Research: Materials for separation. 11/2022-Now.
2. Dr Xiu Yue. Associate Professor. Research: Surfactant chemistry. 12/2018-Now.
3. Dr Hui Li. Associate Professor. Research: Fiber-based separation process. 03/2021-Now.
4. Dr Aikeremu Yasheng. Associate Professor. Research: Polymers for oil gelation. 11/2022-Now.
5. Dr Bin Hao. Assistant Professor. Research: Separation science and system integration. 08/2019-Now.
6. Dr Meng Li. Assistant Professor. Research: Basalt fiber materials. 07/2022-Now.
7. Dr Qingyuan Han. Assistant Professor. Research: Basalt fiber composites. 07/2022-Now.
1. Miss Qing Ma, MSc-PhD joint program student, Project: Nanocomposites for flexible sensor. 09/2014-Now.
2. Miss Meng Li, MSc-PhD joint program student, Project: Functional sizing for basalt fiber. 09/2018-Now.
3. Mr. Chongjiang Lv, PhD student, Project: Multi-functional fibers. 09/2018-Now.
4. Mr. Zeshi Guo, PhD student, Project: Fiber materials for the construction of lunar base. 09/2018-Now.
5. Mr. Congguang Liang, PhD student, Project: Fiberization behavior of basalt mineral. 09/2019-Now.
6. Miss. Qianru Li, PhD student, Project: Oil gelling agent. 07/2020-Now.
7. Mr. Linsheng Zhang, MSc student, Project: Polymer nanocomposites for desalinization. 07/2018-Now.
8. Mr. Fuxin Ma, MSc student, Project: Polymer membrane for oil-water separation. 07/2019-Now.
9. Miss Yongle Dou (Jointly supervised with Professor Yuhong Su in Xinjiang University), MSc student, Project: Polymer nanocomposites for oil-water separation. 07/2018-Now.
10. Miss Hanping Zhai, MSc student, Project: Crystal behavior of basalt fiber. 07/2018-Now.
11. Miss Fanghong Yang, MSc student, Project: Fluorescent basalt fiber. 07/2018-Now.
12. Mr. Hongbing Fang, MSc student, Project: Melting behavior of basalt mineral. 07/2018-Now.
13. Miss Xinyi Wang MSc student, Project: TBA. 09/2020-Now.
14. Mr. Alabati, MSc student, Project: TBA. 07/2020-Now.
1. Mr. Xiong-Yu Xi. Research Assistant (Engineer). Project: Spinning of basalt fiber. 07/2017-Now.
2. Mr. Shuai Liu. Research Assistant (Engineer). Project: Removal of oil contaminant in soil. 07/2017-Now.
3. Mr. Chao Ma. Research Assistant (Engineer). Project: Apparatus for oil-water separation. 08/2020-Now.
4. Miss Chenxin Liu, Research Assistant (Engineer). Project: Removal of oil in water. 05/2020-Now.
5. Miss Hui Ma. Group secretary. 05/2019-Now.
1. Miss Dan Xing, PhD. Project: Factors governing the mechanical properties of basalt fiber. 09/2017-08/2020.
2. Miss Yurong Zhang. MSc. Project: Development of functional basalt fiber and its application to separate emulsified oil-water mixture. 09/2017-08/2020.
3. Mr. Biwei Meng, MSc. Project: Application of aggregation-induced emission molecules for monitoring health states of polymer composites. 09/2017-08/2020.
4. Miss Yuchen Miao, MSc. Project: Preparation of conductive basalt fiber and its functional composites. 09/2017-08/2020.
5. Miss Chao Chang. MSc. Project: Functional basalt fiber and its composites for the application of electromagnetic interference shielding. 09/2017-08/2020.
6. Mr. Dengliang Cai, MSc. Project: Separation of waste cook oil and its value addition through novel techniques. 08/2016-08/2019
7. Miss Hui Wang, MSc. Project: Graphene-based composite membrane for the separation of oil-water mixture. 08/2016-08/2019
8. Mr. Peng Lv, MSc, Project: Bio-based coagulant for the collection of oil spills. 09/2015-07/2018.
9. Miss Chun-Chun Wang, MSc (Jointly supervised with Professor Xin Jia In Shihezi University), Project: Graphene foam for oil-water separation. 07/2015-07/2018.
10. Mr. Bin Hao, PhD. Project: Functional fibers for advanced warning of defects in composites. Started in 01/2013-08/2016.
11. Mr. Masud Rana, PhD. Project: Multi-functional cotton-based textile materials. 09/2013-08/2017 (CAS-TWAS Fellowship).
12. Mr. Jun-Teng Chen, MSc. Project: Smart cotton fabrics with polymer coating. 09/2013- 07/2016.
13. Miss Lin Chen, PhD. Project: Design and preparation of TiO2-based nanohybrids and their optical and electrical properties. 09/2012- 07/2015.
14. Mr. Lei Mu, MSc. Project: Preparation and application of polymer sponges for oil-water separation. 09/2012- 07/2015.
1. Dr. Su-Dong Yang, Assistant/Associate Professor. Project: Carbon-based nanomaterials for oil-water separation. 05/2012-08/2019.
2. Dr. Than Than Aye, Postdoc. Project: Development of bio-based plastizer using waste cooking oil. 9/2016- 08/2017.
3. Dr. Neelam Gogoi, Postdoc. Project: Application of AIE molecules for evaluating the healthy states of FRP structures. 07/2017-08/2018.
4. Miss Cai-Hong Shen, Group secretary. 07/2014-07/2019.
5. Prof. Edith Maeder, Leibniz Institute of Polymer Research Dresden, Germany. 05--06/2015; 05--06/2016.
6. Dr. Theresa Foerster, Leibniz Institute of Polymer Research Dresden, Germany. 05--06/2015; 05--06/2016.
7. Mr. Enrico Woelfel, Leibniz Institute of Polymer Research Dresden, Germany. 05--06/2016.
Course Title: Nanocomposite Science and Technology (Given in English)
-- Nanotechnology and nanocomposites
-- Fundamentals of composites
-- Fillers for nanocomposites
-- Preparation of nanocomposites
-- Characterization of nanocomposites
-- Properties of nanocomposites
-- Application of nanocomposites
Course Title: Functional Polymer Materials (Given In English);
-- Fundamentals of polymers (3h);
-- Environmental polymers (3h)
-- Conductive polymers (3h);
-- Photosensitive polymers (3h) (Quiz);
-- Biomedical polymers (3h);
-- Polymer composites (3h);
-- Polymer nanocomposites and characterization (3h);
Last Updated on 28-11-2022