Prof. Bing Miao
University of Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing 100049, China
Email: bmiao AT ucas DOT ac DOT cn
ResearchGate Homepage: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Bing_Miao2
I am a theoretical physicist working on statistical physics and soft matter/polymer physics. I am especially interested in fluctuation-related physics.
(1) Phase transitions
(2) Fluctuation-induced interactions
(3) Path integrals
Workshop at Kavli Institute for Theoretical Sciences (KITS):
Ph.D. in Theoretical Polymer Physics, Institute of Chemistry, Chinese Academy of Sciences (2006).
Since 2020. 06, Adjunct Professor, Physics Department, Lanzhou University.
2019. 09, Visiting Professor, Condensed Matter Theory Group, LOMA, University of Bordeaux, France.
Hoster: Prof. David S. Dean
2019. 03, Visiting Professor, Theoretical Physics Department, Max Planck Institute for Intelligent Systems, Stuttgart, Germany.
Hoster: Prof. Siegfried Dietrich
2011. 03 - Present, Professor, College of Materials Science and Opto-Electronic Technology, University of Chinese Academy of Sciences.
2008. 10 - 2011. 02, Postdoctoral Researcher, Theory Department, Max Planck Institute for Polymer Research, Germany.
Supervisor: Prof. Thomas A. Vilgis
2008. 01 - 2008. 09, Postdoctoral Research Associate, Department of Physics, University of Guelph, Canada.
Supervisor: Prof. Robert A. Wickham
2006. 05 - 2007. 12, Postdoctoral Research Associate, Department of Physics, St. Francis Xavier University, Canada.
Supervisor: Prof. Robert A. Wickham
2012, Member of Youth Innovation Promotion Association of CAS.
2015, Interdisciplinary Study Prize, Academic Conference of Youth Innovation Promotion Association.
2018, Feng Xinde Polymer Prize (The Best Paper Nomination).
2019, Best Presentation Award, Peng Huanwu Young Scientists' Forum on Theoretical Physics, ITP-CAS.
Since 2011, lecturing courses in graduate student level：
Mathematical Methods in Materials Science and Engineering
Surfaces and Interfaces
Introduction to Soft Matter Theory
1. "Selected Topics on Theory of Polymer Physics", In Chinese, Dadong Yan, Xinghua Zhang, Bing Miao, Science Press (2021).
38. "New Kinetics Equation for Stress Relaxation of Semi-crystalline Polymers below Glass Transition Temperature", Cheng Zhang, Li-Hai Cai, Bao-Hua Guo, Bing Miao, Jun Xu, Chin. J. Polym. Sci. (2023). https://doi.org/10.1007/s10118-022-2749-6
37. "Polymeric Microparticles Generated via Confinement-Free Fluid Instability", Jianing Song, Wenluan Zhang, Dehui Wang, Yue Fan, Chenglin Zhang, Dapeng Wang, Longquan Chen, Bing Miao, Jiaxi Cui, Xu Deng, Advanced Materials (2021). https://doi.org/10.1002/adma.202007154
36. "Surface Morphologies of Planar Ring Polyelectrolyte Brushes induced by Trivalent Salts", Qing-Hai Hao, Jie Cheng, Li-Xiang Liu, Hong-Ge Tan, Tong Wei, Li-Yan Liu, and Bing Miao, Macromolecules 53 (16), 7187 (2020). https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.macromol.0c00507
35. "Thermal Casimir interactions for higher derivative field Lagrangians: generalized Brazovskii models", David S. Dean, Bing Miao, Rudolf Podgornik, J. Phys. A: Math. Theor. 53 355005 (2020); arXiv:2002.09822
34. "Casimir force", Bing Miao, Acta Physica Sinica, 69 (8), 080505 (2020). Invited. http://doi/10.7498/aps.69.20200450
33. "On entropy", Bing Miao, Physics, 49 (4), 205 (2020). Invited. http://www.wuli.ac.cn/CN/Y2020/V49/I4/205
32. "The Effects of Grafting Density and Charge Fraction on the Properties of Ring Polyelectrolyte Brushes: A Molecular Dynamics Simulation Study", Qing-Hai Hao, Li-Xiang Liu, Gang Xia, Li-Yan Liu, and Bing Miao, Colloid Polym. Sci., 298, 21 (2020). https://doi.org/10.1007/s00396-019-04579-2
30. "Morphologies of a Polyelectrolyte Brush Grafted onto a Cubic Colloid in the Presence of Trivalent Ions", Hong-Ge Tan, Gang Xia, Li-Xiang Liu, and Bing Miao, Phys. Chem. Chem. Phys., 21, 20031 (2019). http://doi.org/10.1039/C9CP03819A
29. "An effective method for calculating the critical Casimir force between two parallel plates for the Ising universality class", Dongyan Chen and Bing Miao, Journal of University of Chinese Academy of Sciences, 36(4), 487 (2019). http://journal.ucas.ac.cn/CN/10.7523/j.issn.2095-6134.2019.04.007
28. "Morphological Response of a Spherical Polyelectrolyte Brush to Solvent Quality and Electrostatic Interaction Strength", Qing-Hai Hao, Gang Xia, Bing Miao, Hong-Ge Tan, Xiao-Hui Niu, and Li-Yan Liu, Macromolecules, 51, 8513 (2018). http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/acs.macromol.8b01466
27. "How Implementation of Entropy in Driving Structural Ordering of Nanoparticles Relates to Assembly Kinetics: Insight into Reaction-
Induced Interfacial Assembly of Janus Nanoparticles", Ye Yang, Pengyu Chen, Yufei Cao, Zihan Huang, Guolong Zhu, Ziyang Xu, Xiaobin Dai,
Shi Chen, Bing Miao, and Li-Tang Yan, Langmuir, 34, 9477 (2018). http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/acs.langmuir.8b01378
26. "Solvent-dependence of the characteristic scaling exponent for single polymer chain with finite length", Shuangshuang Zhang, Bing Miao, and Tongchuan Suo, Journal of University of Chinese Academy of Sciences, 35(5), 602 (2018). http://journal.ucas.ac.cn/CN/10.7523/j.issn.2095-6134.2018.05.005
25. "Regulating depletion interaction between micelle and selective substrate", Jingyu Zhou, Xinghua Zhang, and Bing Miao, Journal of University of Chinese Academy of Sciences, 35(3), 314 (2018). http://journal.ucas.ac.cn/CN/10.7523/j.issn.2095-6134.2018.03.005
24. "Light-responsive expansion-contraction of spherical nanoparticle grafted with azopolymers", Jie Fu, Xinghua Zhang, Bing Miao, and Dadong Yan, J. Chem. Phys., 146, 164901 (2017). http://dx.doi.org/10.1063/1.4981914
23. "Optimal Reactivity and Improved Self-Healing Capability of Structurally-Dynamic Polymers Grafted on Janus Nanoparticles Governed by Chain Stiffness and Spatial Organization", Guoxi Xu, Zihan Huang, Pengyu Chen, Tianqi Cui, Xinghua Zhang, Bing Miao, and Li-Tang Yan, Small, 13, 1603155 (2017). http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/smll.201603155 Front Cover. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/smll.v13.13/issuetoc
22. "Confinement Effects on Phase Separation of a Polyelectrolyte Solution", Jie Fu, Bing Miao, and Dadong Yan, Polymer, 110, 49 (2017). Feng Xinde Polymer Prize (The Best Paper Nomination). http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.polymer.2016.12.061
21. "Diffusion and Directionality of Charged Nanoparticles on Lipid Bilayer Membrane", Pengyu Chen, Zihan Huang, Junshi Liang, Tianqi Cui, Xinghua Zhang, Bing Miao, and Li-Tang Yan, ACS Nano, 10 (12), 11541 (2016). http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/acsnano.6b07563
20. "Microphase separation of short wormlike diblock copolymers with a finite interaction range", Ying Jiang, Xinghua Zhang, Bing Miao, Dadong Yan, and Jeff Z. Y. Chen, Soft Matter, 12, 2481 (2016). http://dx.doi.org/10.1039/c5sm02865e
19. "Scaling of Polymer Dynamics at an Oil–Water Interface in Regimes Dominated by Viscous Drag and Desorption-Mediated Flights", Dapeng Wang, Renfeng Hu, Joshua N. Mabry, Bing Miao, David T. Wu, Kaloian Koynov, and Daniel K. Schwartz, J. Am. Chem. Soc., 137 (38), 12312 (2015). http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/jacs.5b07108
18. "Curvature elasticity of a grafted polyelectrolyte brush", Zhen Lei, Bing Miao, Shuang Yang, Er-Qiang Chen, Phys. Rev. E, 91, 062602 (2015). http://dx.doi.org/10.1103/PhysRevE.91.062602
17. “Structure factor of a Gaussian chain confined between two parallel plates”, Yi Liao and Bing Miao, J. Chem. Phys., 142, 164903 (2015). http://dx.doi.org/10.1063/1.4919305
16. “The study of the structure factor of a wormlike chain in an orientational external field”, Ying Jiang, Xinghua Zhang, Bing Miao, Dadong Yan, J. Chem. Phys., 142, 154901 (2015). http://dx.doi.org/10.1063/1.4917520
15. "Phase behaviors of polyelectrolyte solutions under cylindrical confinement", Tieju Liu, Qian Chen, Qinghai Hao, Xiaohui Niu, Bing Miao, Computers and Applied Chemistry, 32, 907 (2015).
14. "Self-assembly of cylinder-forming diblock copolymers in nanobowls", Qinghai Hao, Xiaoyun Chen, Zhisheng Peng, Hongge Tan, Tieju Liu, Liyan Liu, Bing Miao, Mater. Rev.: Res., 28, 132 (2014).
13. "Phase behaviors of sphere-forming triblock copolymers confined in nanopores: a dynamic density functional theory study", Qing-Hai Hao, Bing Miao, Qing-Gong Song, Xiao-Hui Niu, Tie-Ju Liu, Polymer, 55, 4281 (2014). http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.polymer.2014.06.062
12. "The structure factor of a wormlike chain and the random-phase-approximation solution for the spinodal line of a diblock copolymer melt", Xinghua Zhang, Ying Jiang, Bing Miao, Yunlin Chen, Dadong Yan, Jeff Z. Y. Chen, Soft Matter, 10 (29), 5405 (2014). http://dx.doi.org/10.1039/c4sm00374h
11. “Spatial distribution of crystal orientation in neck propagation: An in-situ microscopic infrared imaging study on polyethylene”, Hailong Li, Weiming Zhou, Youxin Ji, Zhihua Hong, Bing Miao, Xiangyang Li, Jing Zhang, Zeming Qi, Xiao Wang, Liangbin Li, and Zhong-Ming Li, Polymer, 54, 972 (2013). http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.polymer.2012.12.012
10. "On the structure of statistical field theory of polymers", Bing Miao, Int. J. Mod. Phys. B, 27, 1361009(2013). http://dx.doi.org/10.1142/S0217979213610092
9. "Configurational fluctuation effects on counterion condensation for a polyelectrolyte chain", Bing Miao and Thomas A. Vilgis, Macromol. Theory Simul., 21, 582 (2012). http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/mats.201200033
8. “Effects of embedded carbon nanotube on properties of biomembrane”, Xiaoyi Li, Yanchao Shi, Bing Miao, and Yuliang Zhao, J. Phys. Chem. B, 116, 5391 (2012). http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/jp301864z
7. “Self-consistent field theory and its applications in polymer systems”, Dadong Yan, Tongchuan Suo, Xinghua Zhang, Xingkun Man, and Bing Miao, Front. Chem. China, 6, 310 (2011). http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s11458-011-0251-8
6. “Effect of finite-extensibility on the equilibrium chain size”, Bing Miao, Thomas A. Vilgis, Stefanie Poggendorf, and Gabriele Sadowski, Macromol. Theory Simul., 19, 414 (2010). http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/mats.201000009
5. “Fluctuation effects and the stability of the Fddd network phase in diblock copolymer melts”, Bing Miao and Robert A. Wickham, J. Chem. Phys., 128, 054902 (2008). http://dx.doi.org/10.1063/1.2827472; Selected at Virtual Journal of Nanoscale Science & Technology, Volume 17, Issue 7 (2008).
4. “The nature of phase transitions of symmetric diblock copolymer melts under confinement”, Bing Miao, Dadong Yan, Robert A. Wickham, and An-Chang Shi, Polymer, 48, 4278 (2007). http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.polymer.2007.05.045
3. “Effects of confinement on the order-disorder transition in diblock copolymer melts”, Bing Miao, Dadong Yan, Charles C. Han, and An-Chang Shi, J. Chem. Phys., 124, 144902 (2006). http://dx.doi.org/10.1063/1.2187492; Selected at Virtual Journal of Nanoscale Science & Technology, Volume 13, Issue 16 (2006).
2. “Linear and nonlinear phase decomposition in polymers”, Haiqing Hu, J. Y. Li, Bing Miao, and Charles C. Han, Acta Polymerica Sinica, 2, 193 (2006). http://dx.doi.org/10.3724/SP.J.1105.2006.00193
1. “Conformation-assisted fluctuation of density and kinetics of nucleation in polymer melts”, Hongge Tan, Bing Miao, and Dadong Yan, J. Chem. Phys., 119, 2886 (2003). http://dx.doi.org/10.1063/1.1590309
39. Casimir Force and Path Integral, 2021. 08, The 6th National Conference on Statistical Physics and Complex Systems, Changchun, Jilin University.
38. Thermal Casimir Force, 2021. 07, Soft Condensed Matter Symposium, Shanghai Jiaotong University.
37. Theory of Phase Separations in Polyelectrolyte Systems, 2019. 12, Pacific Polymer Conference, Singapore.
36. Casimir Forces and Path Integrals for Higher Derivative Actions, 2019. 10, School of Systems Science, Beijing Normal University.
35. Fluctuation-related physics of polymers, 2019. 10, National Polymer Conference, Xi'an.
34. Thermal Casimir Forces within Gaussian Field Theory, 2019. 08, Theoretical Physics Forum, Lanzhou University.
33. Recent Progress on Casimir Physics, 2019. 08, Soft Matter Research Center, Beihang.
32. Casimir Forces in Gaussian Fluctuating Media, 2019. 07, The 5th National Conference on Statistical Physics and Complex Systems, Hefei, USTC.
31. Phase Separations of Polyelectrolytes, 2019. 07, The 15th China-Korea Bilateral Symposium on Polymer Materials, Enshi.
30. Casimir Forces in Ising and Brazovskii Fluctuation Media within a Gaussian Model, 2019. 06, The Tenth Alexander Friedmann Inernational Seminar on Gravitation and Cosmology and Fourth Symposium on the Casimir Effect, St. Petersburg, Russia.
29. Casimir Forces in Gaussian Fluctuating Media, 2019. 06, Tianyuan Mathematical Center in Northeast China, Jilin University.
28. Fluctuations in Polymer Physics, 2019. 03, Theory Group Seminar, Max Planck Institute for Intelligent Systems, Stuttgart.
27. Phase Separation Theory of Polyelectrolytes, 2019. 01，Peng Huanwu Young Scientists' Forum on Theoretical Physics, Institute of Theoretical Physics, Chinese Academy of Sciences.
26. Casimir Effects in Soft Matter，2019. 01，The 2nd Symposium on Computational Methods in Statistical Physics, Dali University.
25. Theory of Phase Separations in Polyelectrolyte Systems, 2018. 12, Symposium on Charged Macromolecular Systems, Donghua University, Shanghai.
24. Phase Separations in Polyelectrolyte Systems，2018. 11，International Conference on Soft Matter Science and Technolog，Sichuan University.
23. Phase Separations in Polyelectrolyte Systems，2018. 10，International Symposium on Polymer Science and Engineering，Peking University.
22. Phase Separation Theory of Polyelectrolytes, 2018. 09，CPS Autumn Meeting，Dalian University of Technology.
21. Statistical Physics of Polymers，2018. 08，College of Materials Science, Jiangsu University of Science and Technology。
20. Field Theory of Polymers, 2018. 06, Advanced Institute of Engineering Science for Intelligent Manufacturing, Guangzhou University.
19. Correlation Functions，2018. 04，Soft Matter Center, Beihang University.
18. Theoretical Study on Phase Transitions in Polymers，2018. 04，Soft Matter Center, Soochow University.
17. Orders and Fluctuations in Polymer Systems, 2017. 11，Department of Chemical Engineering, Tsinghua University.
16. EMN Meeting on Polymer 2016, 2016/01/12-2016/01/15, Hong Kong.
15. Phase separations in polyelectroyte solutions: effect of chain flexibility, at the Soft Matter Workshop, Kavli Institute for Theoretical Physics China, August, 2015.
14. Phase separations in polyelectroyte solutions: effect of chain rigidity, at the Theory Group, Max Planck Institute for Polymer Research, July, 2015.
13. Pole distribution and structuring in a polymer system, at the Beijing University of Chemical Technology, July, 2014.
12. The poles of scattering function and the structuring for a polymer system, at the Seminar of Theory and Simulation in Macromolecular Systems, Changchun Institute of Applied Chemistry, CAS, June, 2014.
11. Microphase separation under confinement: A field-theoretic study, at the Fritz Haber Center, Hebrew University of Jerusalem, December, 2012.
10. Some field theoretic methods in polymer physics, at the Zhou Pei-Yuan Center for Applied Mathematics, Tsinghua University, August, 2012.
9. Some progresses on the study of phase behavior in polyelectrolyte solutions, at the Seminar of Theory and Simulation in Macromolecular Systems, Nanjing University, May, 2012.
8. Theoretical methods in polymer physics, Series Lectures at the Soft Matter Group, University of Science and Technology of China, June, 2011.
7. Theoretical study on structure phase transitions in polymer systems, at the Seminar of Advanced Polymer Materials, Qingdao University of Science and Technology, April, 2011.
Contributed Conference Presentations
5. “Field-theoretic methods in polymer physics”, Bing Miao, the 17th Conference for Condensed Matter Theory and Statistical Physics, Lanzhou, 2012.
4. “Effect of finite-extensibility on the equilibrium chain size”, Bing Miao, Thomas A. Vilgis, Stefanie Poggendorf, and Gabriele Sadowski, DPG Spring Meeting, Regensburg, 2010.
3. “Morphologies of a diblock copolymer melt confined in a spherical nanopore”, Bing Miao, Janine Tulkens, Weihua Li, and Robert A. Wickham, International Symposium on Polymer Physics, Xiamen, 2008.
2. “Morphologies of a diblock copolymer melt confined in a spherical nanopore”, Bing Miao, Janine Tulkens, Weihua Li, and Robert A. Wickham, APS March Meeting, New Orleans, 2008.
1. “Fluctuation effects and stability of the Fddd network phase in diblcock copolymer melts”, Bing Miao and Robert A. Wickham, APS March Meeting, Denver, 2007.
With David, at Bordeaux, France.
With David, at Mutianyu Great Wall, Beijing.
With Rudi, at Yanqi Campus of UCAS, Beijing.
The 5th National Conference on Statistical Physics, 2019. 08, Hefei, China.
The 15th China-Korea Bilateral Symposium on Polymer Materials, 2019. 07, Enshi, China.
St. Petersburg, 2019. 06.
St. Petersburg, 2019. 06.
The Fourth Symposium on Casimir Effect, 2019. 06, St. Petersburg.
Group Photo of Kavli-ITS workshop on non-Equilibrium fluctuations, 2019. 05, Beijing.
With Rudi and David, 2019. 05, Qingdao.
With Rudi and David, 2019. 03, Huairou.
With MPI-IS Theoretical Physics Group, 2019. 03, Stuttgart.
Peng Huanwu Young Scientists's Forum on Theoretical Physics, ITP-Cas, 2019. 01, Beijing.
Polyelectrolyte Symposium at Donghua University, 2018. 12, Shanghai.
Feng Xinde Polymer Prize (Best Paper Nomination).
With J. Zinn-Justin during his series lectures on RG, 2017. 11, ITP-Cas, Beijing.
Les Houches School of Theoretical Physics, 2009. 07, France.