Zanmin Hu, Ph.D, Prof. Institute of Genetics and Developmental Biology, UCAS
Address: No.1 West Beichen Road,Chaoyang District, Beijing, 100101 China
The use of transgenic plants as “BIOREACTORS” is relatively new bioscience and is gaining momentum. It involves the genetic modification of the host plant through the insertion and expression of new genes. The primary objective of using plants as bioreactors is to produce the desired proteins/products of therapeutic or industrial importance using plant biotechnology. In this field, we focus on using Chlorella ellipsoidea and oilseed rape as bioreactors to produce therapeutic proteins and other high valuable bio-products which is healthful for Human body and industrial importance.
Plant chromosome microdissection and microcloning is an efficient tool to combine cytogenetics and molecular genetics. We develop new techniques of plant chromosome microdissection and cloning to construct the libraries of chromosome specific and chromosomal segment specific DNA and ESTs for cloning new genes and investigating the structure of chromosomes.
Oilseed rape is an important crop in China. In this field, we focus on the theory and application aspects in the improvement of Oilseed rape in disease tolerance, and oil content and quality by genetic engineering
There are many drought and salt tolerant resources of trees. In this project we focus on the cloning of genes related drought and salt tolerance on the basis of collecting resources of trees with drought and salt tolerance in the west of China.
1981-1985 Department of Biology, Henan Normal University, BSc
1985-1988 Department of Biology, Harbin Normal University, MSc
1992-1995 Department of Biology, Beijing University, Ph.D
1988-1992 Assistant and Lecturer of Harbin Medical University
1995-1997 Institute of Genetics, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Postdoctoral
1997-1998 Institute of Genetics, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Associate Professor & Director of Laboratory
1998-2000 USDA-ARS, Forage and Range Research Laboratory (Utah State University), Postdoctoral research associate
2001-2005 Institute of Genetics and Developmental Biology, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Associate Professor & Laboratory Director
2006- Institute of Genetics and Developmental Biology, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Professor & Laboratory Director
1988-1992 Assistant and Lecturer of Harbin Medical University, Teaching Medical Biology.
2015- Prof., Teaching Molecular Cytogenetics, UCAS
Honors & Distinctions
11. Song L Y, Zhang Y, Li S F, Hu J, Yin W B, Chen Y H, Hao S T, Wang B L, Wang R R, Hu Z M* (2014). Identification of the substrate recognition region in the Δ6-fatty acid and Δ 8-sphingolipid desaturase by fusion mutagenesis. Planta, 239(4):753-63
12. Bai L L, Yin W B, Chen Y H, Niu L L, Sun Y R, Zhao S M, Yang F Q, Wang R R-C, Wu Q, Zhang X Q, Hu Z M* (2013). A new strategy to produce a defensin: Stable production of mutated NP-1 in nitrate reductase-deficient Chlorella ellipsoidea. PLoS ONE, 8(1): e54966
13. Song L Y, Lu W X, Hu J, Yin W B, Chen Y H, Wang B L, Wang R R, Hu Z M* (2013). The role of C-terminal amino acid residues of a Delta(6)-fatty acid desaturase from blackcurrant. Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, 431(4):675-679
14. Deng C, Bai L, Fu S, Yin W, Zhang Y, Chen Y, Wang RR, Zhang X, Han F, Hu Z* (2013). Microdissection and chromosome painting of the alien chromosome in an addition line of wheat--Thinopyrum intermedium. PLoS ONE, 8(8):e72564
15.Han Y, Wang W, Sun J, Ding M, Zhao R, Deng S, Wang F, Hu Y, Wang Y, Lu Y, Du L, Hu Z, Diekmann H, Shen X, Polle A, Chen S (2013). Populus euphratica XTH overexpression enhances salinity tolerance by the development of leaf succulence in transgenic tobacco plants. Journal of Experimental Botany, 64(14):4225-38
16. Li S, Su X, Zhang B, Huang Q, Hu Z, Lu M (2013). Molecular cloning and functional analysis of the Populus deltoides remorin gene PdREM. Tree Physiology, 33(10):1111-21
17. Fan J, Cui Y, Huang J, Wang W, Yin W, Hu Z*, Li Y* (2012). Suppression subtractive hybridization reveals transcript profiling of Chlorella under Heterotrophy to photoautotrophy transition. PLoS ONE, 7:e50414
18. Yang D H, Song L Y, Hu J, Yin W B, Li Z G, Chen Y H, Su X H, Wang RR-C, Hu Z M* (2012). Enhanced tolerance to NaCl and LiCl stresses by over-expressing Caragana korshinskii sodium/proton exchanger 1 (CkNHX1) and the hydrophilic C terminus is required for the activity of CkNHX1 in Atsos3-1 mutant and yeast. Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, 417: 732–737
19. Li S F, Song L Y, Yin W B, Chen Y H, Chen L, Li J L, Wang R R-C, Hu Z M* (2012). Isolation and functional characterization of the genes encoding ∆8-sphingolipid desaturase from Brassica rapa. Journal of Genetics and Genomics, 39: 47-59
20. Li S F, Song L Y , Zhang G J, Yin W B , Chen Y H , Wang R R C, Hu Z M* (2011). Newly identified essential amino acid residues affecting Δ8-sphingolipid desaturase activity revealed by site-directed mutagenesis. Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, 416(1-2):165-71
21. Li Z G, Yin W B, Song L Y, Chen Y H, Guan R Z, Wang J Q, Wang R R-C, and Hu Z M * (2011). Genes encoding the biotin carboxylase subunit of acetyl-CoA carboxylase from Brassica napus and parental species: cloning, expression patterns, and evolution. Genome, 54: 202–211.
22. Su X, Chu Y, Li H, Hou Y, Zhang B, Huang Q, Hu Z, Huang R, Tian Y (2011). Expression of multiple resistance genes enhances tolerance to environmental stressors in transgenic Poplar (Populus x euramericana ‘Guariento’). PLoS ONE, 6(9):e24614.
23. Sun J, Zhang C L, Deng S R, Lu C F, Shen X, Zhou X Y, Zheng X J, Hu Z M, Chen S L (2011). An ATP signalling pathway in plant cells: extracellular ATP triggers programmed cell death in Populus euphratica. Plant Cell Environment, 2011 Nov 9. doi:10.1111/j.1365-3040.2011.02461.x. [Epub ahead of print].
24. Song L Y, Lu W X, Hu J, Zhang Y, Yin W B, Chen Y H, Hao ST, Wang B L, Wang R R C, Hu Z M* (2010).Identification and functional analysis of the genes encoding Delta6-desaturase from Ribes nigrum. Journal of Experimental Botany, 61(6): 1827-38.
25. Li Z G, Yin W B, Guo H, Song L Y, Chen Y H, Guan R Z, Wang J Q, Wang R R C, Hu Z M* (2010).Genes encoding the a-carboxyltransferase subunit of acetyl-CoA carboxylase from Brassica napus and parental species: cloning, expression patterns, and evolution. Genome, 53: 360–370.
26. Ding M, Hou P, Shen X, Wang M, Deng S, Sun J, Xiao F, Wang R, Zhou X, Lu C, Zhang D, Zheng X, Hu Z, Chen S (2010). Salt-induced expression of genes related to Na(+)/K(+) and ROS homeostasis in leaves of salt-resistant and salt-sensitive poplar species. Plant Mol Biol, 73(3): 251-69.
27. Sun J, Wang M J, Ding M Q, Deng S R, Liu M Q, Lu C F, Zhou X Y, Shen X, Zheng X J, Zhang Z K, Song J, Hu Z M, Xu Y, Chen S L (2010). H2O2 and cytosolic Ca2+ signals triggered by the PM H-coupled transport system mediate K+/Na+ homeostasis in NaCl-stressed Populus euphratica cells. Plant Cell Environment, 33(6):943-58
28. Wang H H, Yin W B, Hu Z M* (2009). Advances in chloroplast engineering. Journal of Genetics and Genomics, 36 (7): 387-98
29. Jiang S M, Yin W B, Hu J, Shi R, Zhou R N, Chen Y H, Zhou G H, Wang R R-C, Song L Y, Hu ZM* (2009). Isolation of expressed sequences from a specific chromosome of Thinopyrum intermedium infected by BYDV. Genome, 52(1): 68-76
30. Sun J, Dai S, Wang R, Chen S, Zhou X, Li N, Lu C, Shen X, Zheng X, Hu Z, Zhang Z, Song J, Xu Y (2009). Calcium mediates root K+/Na+ homeostasis in poplar species differing in salt tolerance. Tree Physiology, 29(9):1175-86
31. Sun J, Chen S, Dai S, Wang R, Li N, Shen X, Zhou X, Lu C, Zheng X, Hu Z, Zhang Z, Song J, Xu Y (2009). NaCl-induced alternations of cellular and tissue ion fluxes in roots of salt-resistant and salt-sensitive poplar species. Plant Physiology, 149(2): 1141-53
32. Zhou R N, Shi R, Jiang S M, Yin W B, Wang H H, Chen Y H, Hu J, Wang R R C, Zhang X Q, Hu Z M* (2008). Rapid EST isolation from chromosome 1R of rye. BMC Plant Biology, 2008, 8:28
33. Zhou R N, Hu Z M*(2007). The development of chromosome microdissection and microcloning technique and its applications in genomic research. Current Genomics, 8 (1): 67-72
34. Zhao T J, Zhao S Y, Chen H M, Zhao Q Z, Hu Z M, Hou B K, Xia G M (2006). Transgenic wheat progeny resistant to powdery mildew generated by Agrobacterium inoculum to the basal portion of wheat seedling. Plant Cell Reports, 25(11): 1199-1204
35. Lu X M, Yin W B and Hu Z M* (2006). Chloroplast transformation. Methods in Molecular Biology, Vol.318: 285-303 (Plant Cell Culture Protocols, Second Edition Edited by: V. M. Loyola-Vargas and F. Vazquez-Flota, Humanna Press Inc., Totowa, NJ.).
36. Jiang S M , Hu J , Yin W B , Chen Y H , Wang R R C, Hu Z M* (2005). Cloning of resistance gene analogs located on the alien chromosome in an addition line of wheat-Thinopyrum intermedium. Theoretical and Applied Genetics, 111(5): 923 – 931
37. Hu Z M, Wu X L, Larson S R, Wang R R-C, Jones T A, Chatterton N J and Palazzo A J (2005). Detection of linkage disequilibrium QTLs controlling low-temperature growth and metabolite accumulations in an admixed breeding population of Leymus wildryes. Euphytica, 141(3): 263-280
38. Zhang F Y, Yin W B, Shi R, Hu Y K, Yan Y M, Chen Y H, Zhou Y H, Hu J, Wang R. R-C, and Hu Z M *(2005). Construction and characterization of chromosome 1B specific DNA library of wheat. Canadian Journal of Plant Science, 85: 309-316
39. Jiang S M, Zhang L, Hu J, Shi R, Zhou G H, Chen Y H, Yin W B, Wang R R C, Hu Z M * (2004). Screening and analysis of differentially expressed genes from an alien addition line of wheat Thynopyrum intermedium induced by barley yellow dwarf virus infection. Genome, 47:1114-1121
40. Huang D, Wu W, Zhou Y, Hu Z, Lu L (2004). Microdissection and molecular manipulation of single chromosomes in woody fruit trees with small chromosomes using pomelo (Citrus grandis) as a model. I. Construction of single chromosomal DNA libraries. Theor Appl Genet, 108: 1366-1370
41. Hou B K, Zhou Y H, Wan L H, Zhang Z L, Shen G F, Chen Z H and Hu Z M* (2003). Chloroplast transformation in oilseed rape. Transgenic Research, 12:111-114
42. Wang R R-C, Li X M, Hu Z M, Zhang J Y, Larson S R, Zhang X Y, Grieve C M and Shannon M C (2003). Development of salinity-tolerant wheat recombinant lines from a wheat disomic addition line carrying a Thinopyrum junceum chromosome. Int J Plant Sci, 164(1): 25-33
43. Wu X, Larson S R, Hu Z M, Palazzo A J, Jones T A, Wang R R-C, Jensen K B., and Chatterton N J (2003). Molecular genetic linkage maps for allotetraploid Leymus Wildryes (Gramineae: Triticeae). Genome, 46: 627-646
44. Hu Z M*, Larson S R*, Jones T A, Wang R R-C (2002). Genetic relationships among soluble carbohydrates,anthocyanins and growth characteristics in Leymus (Gramineae) detected with molecular markers. Acta Botanica Sinica, 44(10): 1173-1181
45. Hu Z M, Wang R R-C*, Larson S R, Palazzo A J, Asay K H and Chatterton N J (2001). Selection response for molecular markers associated with anthocyanin coloration and low temperature growth traits in crested wheatgrass. Canadian Journal of Plant Science, 81(4): 665-671
Directed Students: Total 25 Master and Ph. D students, of which 20 were graduated.