Dr. Wu received his B.S. degree in chemistry and M.S. degree in inorganic chemistry from Liaoning University in 2004 and 2007, respectively, and Ph.D. degree in materials science from Institute of Metal Research (IMR), Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS) in 2011. Then he worked as a postdoctor at Max-Planck Institute for Polymer Research in Germany from 2011 to 2015. Since June 2015, he joined DICP,CAS, and became a full Professor and group leader of 2D Materials & Energy Devices. In January 2018, he was promoted to be a DICP Chair Professor.
His current scientific interests include graphene, two-dimensional nanomaterials, and advanced nanomaterials for energy and environmental applications, including supercapacitors (e.g., electric double layer capacitors, pseudocapacitors, lithium ion capacitors, asymmetric supercapacitors, hybrid supercapacitors), micro-supercapacitors, integrated micro-supercapacitors, planar supercapacitors, lithium ion batteries, Li-S batteries, Na/K/Al based batteries, all-solid-state batteries, flexible/microscacle and stretchable energy storage devices, and catalysis (e.g., ORR, OER, HER, CO2 reduction). He has published more than180 peer-reviewed papers (IF>10, 100 papers) in Energy Environ. Sci., Nat. Commun., Adv. Mater., J. Am. Chem. Soc., ACS Nano, Adv. Funct. Mater., Adv. Energy Mater., Angew. Chem. Int. Ed., Nano Energy, Energy Storage Mater., Chem. Mater., Natl Sci. Rev. etc, which have been cited more than 24000 times with Web of Science , H-index=56. 32 papers are currently ESI "Highly Cited Paper". And the highest cited paper has a citation of >2000 times, selected as "Top 10 Highly-Cited Paper in China" over the past ten years (2006-2016). Additionally, he has authored 2 book chapters, 40+ CN and EU patents, and presented more than 50+ Plenary, Keynote, Invited, and Oral talks.
Dr.Wu is a recipient of the National Natural Science Award (2nd class, 2017), Liaoning Provincial Science and Technology Award (1st class, 2015), IOP Outstanding Reviewer Award 2016, Liaoning "BaiQianWan Talents Program" - Qian Talents Level (2016), Energy Storage Materials_Excellent Reviewer Award 2016, "2015 Best Paper" Award in the journal National Science Review (2016), Excellence in Review Award for service to the journal Carbon in 2013/2014, Distinguished Winner of the Carbon Journal Prize (2013), the Prize of Excellent Ph.D. Thesis of CAS (2012), the Special Prize of President Scholarship for Postgraduate Students of CAS (2011).
Dr.Wu is a member of National Technical Committee 279 on Nanotechnology of Standardization Administration of China, Member of CIGIU International Standardization Technical Committee, member of Technology Committee for Inner Mongolia Institute of Graphene Materials, member of Engineering Technology Committee for Guangdong Engineering Technology Research Center of Low-Carbon and Advanced Energy Materials (2016).
Dr.Wu is currently severing as editor of Applied Surface Science, guest editors and editorial board of Journal of Energy Chemistry (JEC) and Chinese Chemical Letters (CCL), guest editor of Energy Storage Materials (EnSM), and corresponding expert (Clean Energy) of journal Engineering, International Advisory Board of Materials Research Express (MRX), Editorial Board of JPhys Energy - IOP Publishing.
He is frequently invited as Expert Reviewer or Adjudicative Reviewer for refereeing more than 600 manuscripts from 60+ high-profile peer-reviewed scientific journals, including Chem. Rev., Chem. Soc. Rev., Energy Environ. Sci., Adv. Mater., J. Am. Chem. Soc., ACS Nano, Angew. Chem. Int. Ed, Adv. Energy Mater., Adv. Funct. Mater., Energy Storage Mater., Nano Energy, Mater. Horiz., 2D Materials, Sci. Rep., Small, Chem. Mater., Carbon, Chem. Commun., J. Mater. Chem. A, ChemSusChem, Nanoscale, Nano Res., ACS Appl. Mat. Interfaces, J. Phys. Chem., RSC Adv., Electrochem. Acta, New J. Chem., Science Bulletin, Adv. Mater. Interfaces, Mater. Res. Express, Frontiers in Energy, npj 2D Materials and Applications, Adv. Mater. Technology, Applied Energy, J. Energy Chem., SCIENCE CHINA Mater., Chem. Eng.J., Appl. Surf. Sci., Chin. Chem. Lett., J. Inorg. Mater., Inorg. Chem. Front., Chinese Physics B, J. Porous Mater., Micro & Nano Lett., J. Mater. Res., ACS Omega, ACS Appl. Nano Mater., Appl. Mater. Today, ACS Appl. Energy Mater., Mater. Today Energy, Ceramics International, Joule, IONICS, J. Power Sources, Journal of Materiomics, Graphene Technology, Nanoscale Horizons, Materials, J. Alloy. Compd., Sustain. Energ. Fuels, ChemElectroChem, Acta. Phys. Chim. Sin, ChemElectroChem.
Our group website: http://www.zswu.dicp.ac.cn/
The Wu Lab’s research interests include graphene and 2D materials, energy storage and conversion devices, and their innovative applications in challenging energy technologies and environmental science tackling by the combined chemistry, materials science, nanotechnology and surface science. Our current scientific research concentrates on controlled preparation and processing of a brand new generation of graphene and 2D materials arranging from 2D inorganic to polymer nanosheets; rational design and synthesis of new-type atomically thin nanosheet-based nanostructures with precisely controlled chemical composition, structural morphology and physical dimensionality; multi-functional characterization of new chemical, optical, electronic, thermal and electrochemical properties; and elaborated exploration of these 2D nanosheet-based electrochemically active nanomaterials for the breakthrough energy devices, and fundamental studies of the charge-discharge reaction mechanism of the electrodes and energy devices with in-situ spectroscopy and microscopy characterization techniques. A special emphasis is placed on the synergetic integration of multi-composition, multi-structure and multi-properties of these functionalized 2D materials at the nanoscale, and eventually developing novel-concept, unprecedented performance advanced energy storage and conversion nanosystems, e.g., supercapacitors and micro-supercapacitors, advanced energy batteries and fuel cell.
Synthesis and Assembly of Graphene and 2D Materials. Using innovative chemical approaches and nanoscale assembly strategies, we are creating a brand new generation of graphene and 2D materials, and developing novel atomically thin nanosheet-based nanostructures with precisely controlled chemical composition, well-defined structural morphology and physical dimensionality for energy oriented nanosystems.
High-Energy, New-Concept Supercapacitors & Micro-Supercapacitors. Through rational assembly and interfacial integration of different 2D layered materials, we are exploring high-energy, new-concept supercapacitors and micro-supercapacitors with integrated features of unprecedented performance, thinness, flexibility, scalability, light weight, and smart functions, for on-chip and bulk applications in diverse electronics and vehicles.
Advanced Energy Battery Technologies. Combining the ultrathin structure and unique properties of graphene and 2D materials, we are of great interest in designing and creating high-efficient, low-cost, environmentally friendly, advanced energy batteries, e.g., high-energy lithium secondary batteries, new-type batteries that can challenge the state-of-the-art performance limits of traditional devices and beyond.
Other Clean and Sustainable Technologies. Utilizing unique structure and diverseness of 2D nanosheets and their nanohybrids, the as-designed graphene and 2D materials will offer various notable opportunities for other green, clean and sustainable techniques in such as heterogeneous catalysts, CO2 reduction, hydrogen storage, water splitting, water treatment, seawater desalination.
Dr. Wu received his B.S. degree in chemistry and M.S. degree in inorganic chemistry from Liaoning University in 2004 and 2007, respectively, and Ph.D. degree in materials science from Institute of Metal Research (IMR), Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS) in 2011.
Dr. Wu worked as a postdoctor at Max-Planck Institute for Polymer Research in Germany from 2011 to 2015. Since June 2015, he joined DICP,CAS and became a full Professor, and was appointed group leader of 2D Materials & Energy Devices.
1. Correspondence author
(1) Xiaoyu Shi, Zhong-Shuai Wu*, Jieqiong Qin, Shuanghao Zheng, Sen Wang, Feng Zhou, Chenglin Sun, Xinhe Bao. Graphene-Based Linear Tandem Micro-Supercapacitors with Metal-Free Current Collectors and High-Voltage Output, Advanced Materials 2017, 29, 1703034.
(2) Zhong-Shuai Wu*, Yijun Zheng, Shuanghao Zheng, Sen Wang, Chenglin Sun, Khaled Parvez, Taichi Ikeda, Xinhe Bao, Klaus Müllen*, Xinliang Feng*. Stacked-Layer Heterostructure Films of 2D Thiophene Nanosheets and Graphene for High-Rate All-Solid-State Pseudocapacitors with Enhanced Volumetric Capacitance, Advanced Materials 2017, 29, 1602960.
(3) Zhong-Shuai Wu*, Yun-Zhi Tan, Shuanghao Zheng, Sen Wang, Khaled Parvez, Jieqiong Qin, Xiaoyu Shi, Chenglin Sun, Xinhe Bao, Xinliang Feng*, Klaus Müllen*. Bottom-Up Fabrication of Sulfur-Doped Graphene Films Derived from Sulfur-Annulated Nanographene for Ultrahigh Volumetric Capacitance Micro-Supercapacitors, Journal of the American Chemical Society 2017, 139, 4506 −4512.
(4) Yanfeng Dong, Shuanghao Zheng, Jieqiong Qin, Xuejun Zhao, Haodong Shi, Xiaohui Wang,* Jian Chen, Zhong-Shuai Wu*, All-MXene-Based Integrated Electrode Constructed by Ti3C2 Nanoribbon Framework Host and Nanosheet Interlayer for High-Energy-Density Li–S Batteries, ACS Nano 2018, 12, 2381-2388.
(5) Han Xiao, Zhong-Shuai Wu*, Long Chen, Feng Zhou, Shuanghao Zheng, Wencai Ren*, Hui-Ming Cheng, Xinhe Bao. One-Step Device Fabrication of Phosphorene and Graphene Interdigital MicroSupercapacitors with High Energy Density, ACS Nano 2017, 11, 7284 −7292.
(6) Sen Wang, Zhong-Shuai Wu*, Shuanghao Zheng, Feng Zhou, Chenglin Sun, Hui-Ming Cheng, Xinhe Bao. Scalable Fabrication of Photochemically Reduced Graphene-Based Monolithic MicroSupercapacitors with Superior Energy and Power Densities, ACS Nano 2017, 11, 4283 −4291.
(7) Shuanghao Zheng, Zhilin Li, Zhong-Shuai Wu*, Yanfeng Dong, Feng Zhou, Sen Wang, Qiang Fu, Chenglin Sun, Liwei Guo*, Xinhe Bao. High Packing Density Unidirectional Arrays of Vertically Aligned Graphene with Enhanced Areal Capacitance for High-Power MicroSupercapacitors, ACS Nano 2017, 11, 4009 −4016.
(8) Shuanghao Zheng, Xingyan Tang, Zhong-Shuai Wu*, Yuan-Zhi Tan, Sen Wang, Chenglin Sun, Hui-Ming Cheng, Xinhe Bao. Arbitrary-Shaped Graphene-Based Planar Sandwich Supercapacitors on One Substrate with Enhanced Flexibility and Integration, ACS Nano 2017, 11, 2171 −2179.
(9) Yanfeng Dong, Zhong-Shuai Wu*, Shuanghao Zheng, Xiaohui Wang, Jieqiong Qin, Sen Wang, Xiaoyu Shi, Xinhe Bao. Ti3C2 MXene-Derived Sodium/Potassium Titanate Nanoribbons for High-Performance Sodium/Potassium Ion Batteries with Enhanced Capacities, ACS Nano 2017, 11, 4792-4800.
(10) Peichao Lian, Yanfeng Dong, Zhong-Shuai Wu*, Shuanghao Zheng, Xiaohui Wang, Sen Wang, Chenglin Sun, Jieqiong Qin, Xiaoyu Shia, Xinhe Bao. Alkalized Ti3C2 MXene nanoribbons with expanded interlayer spacing for high-capacity sodium and potassium ion batteries Graphene Based Linear Tandem Micro-Supercapacitors with Metal-Free Current Collectors and High-Voltage Output, Nano Energy 2017, 40, 1–8.
(11) Yajuan Li, Shuanghao Zheng, Xue Liu, Pan Li, Lei Sun, Ruixia Yang, Sen Wang, Zhong-Shuai Wu*, Xinhe Bao, Wei-Qiao Deng*. Conductive Microporous Covalent Triazine-Based Framework for High-Performance Electrochemical Capacitive Energy Storage, Angewandte Chemie International Edition 2017, doi: 10.1002/ange.201711169.
(12) Han Xiao, Zhong-Shuai Wu*, Feng Zhou, Shuanghao Zheng, Dong Sui, Yongsheng Chen*, Xinhe Bao. Stretchable Tandem Micro-Supercapacitors with High Voltage Output and Exceptional Mechanical Robustness. Energy Storage Mater. 2018, 13: 233-240.
(13) Sen Wang, Zhong-Shuai Wu*, Feng Zhou, XiaoYu Shi, Shuanghao Zheng, Jieqiong Qin, Han Xiao, Chenglin Sun, Xinhe Bao. All-Solid-State High-Energy Planar Hybrid Micro-Supercapacitors Based on 2D VN Nanosheets and Co(OH)2 Nanoflowers. npj 2D Materials and Applications 2018, 2, 7.
(14) Shuanghao Zheng, Weiwei Lei, Jieqiong Qin, Zhong-Shuai Wu*, Feng Zhou, Sen Wang, Xiaoyu Shi, Chenglin Sun, Ying Chen, Xinhe Bao. All-solid-state high-energy planar asymmetric supercapacitors based on allin-one monolithic film using boron nitride nanosheets as separator, Energy Storage Materials 2018, 10, 24-31.
(15) Shuanghao Zheng, Zhong-Shuai Wu*, Sen Wang, Han Xiao, Feng Zhou, Chenglin Sun, Xinhe Bao, Hui-Ming Cheng. Graphene-based materials for high-voltage and high-energy asymmetric supercapacitors, Energy Storage Materials 2017, 6, 70–97.
2. First author
(16) Zhong-Shuai Wu, Khaled Parvez, Shuang Li, Sheng Yang, Zhaoyang Liu, Shaohua Liu, Xinliang Feng*, Klaus Müllen*, Alternating Stacked Graphene-Conducting Polymer Compact Films with Ultrahigh Areal and Volumetric Capacitances for High-Energy Micro-Supercapacitors, Advanced Materials, 2015, 27, 4054-4061.
(17) Zhong-Shuai Wu, Zhaoyang Liu, Khaled Parvez, Xinliang Feng*, Klaus Müllen*, Ultrathin Printable Graphene Supercapacitors with AC Line-Filtering Performance, Advanced Materials, 2015, 27(24): 3669-3675.
(18) Zhong-Shuai Wu, Sheng Yang, Lili Zhang, Jakob B. Wagner, Xinliang Feng*, Klaus Müllen*, Binder-Free Activated Graphene Compact Films for All-Solid-State Micro-Supercapacitors with High Areal and Volumetric Capacitances, Energy Storage Materials, 2015, 1, 119-126.
(19) Zhong-Shuai Wu, Khaled Parvez, Andreas Winter, Henning Vieker, Xianjie Liu, Sheng Han, Andrey Turchanin, Xinliang Feng*, Klaus Müllen*, Layer-by-Layer Assembled Heteroatom-Doped Graphene Films with Ultrahigh Volumetric Capacitance and Rate Capability for Micro-Supercapacitors, Advanced Materials, 2014, 26, 4552-4558.
(20) Zhong-Shuai Wu, Long Chen, Junzhi Liu, Khaled Parvez, Haiwei Liang, Jie Shu, Hermann Sachdev, Robert Graf, Xinliang Feng*, Klaus Müllen*, High-Performance Electrocatalysts for Oxygen Reduction Derived from Cobalt Porphyrin-Based Conjugated Mesoporous Polymers, Advanced Materials, 2014, 26, 1450-1455.
(21) Zhong-Shuai Wu, Khaled Parvez, Xinliang Feng*, Klaus Müllen*, Graphene-Based in-Plane Micro-Supercapacitors with High Power and Energy Densities, Nature Communications, 2013, 4, 2487.
(19) Zhong-Shuai Wu#, Guangmin Zhou#, Li-Chang Yin, Wencai Ren, Feng Li, Hui-Ming Cheng*, Graphene/Metal Oxide Composite Electrode Materials for Energy Storage, Nano Energy, 2013, 1, 107-131.
(22) Zhong-Shuai Wu, Shubin Yang, Yi Sun, Khaled Parvez, Xinliang Feng*, Klaus Müllen*, 3D Nitrogen-Doped Graphene Aerogel-Supported Fe3O4 Nanoparticles as Efficient Eletrocatalysts for the Oxygen Reduction Reaction, Journal of the American Chemical Society, 2012, 134, 9082-9085.
(23) Zhong-Shuai Wu, Yi Sun, Yuan-Zhi Tan, Shubin Yang, Xinliang Feng*, Klaus Müllen*, Three-Dimensional Graphene-Based Macro- and Mesoporous Frameworks for High-Performance Electrochemical Capacitive Energy Storage, Journal of the American Chemical Society, 2012, 134, 19532-19535.
(24) Zhong-Shuai Wu, Andreas Winter, Long Chen, Yi Sun, Andrey Turchanin, Xinliang Feng*, Klaus Müllen*, Three-Dimensional Nitrogen and Boron Co-Doped Graphene for High-Performance All-Solid-State Supercapacitors, Advanced Materials, 2012, 24, 5130-5135.
(25) Zhong-Shuai Wu, Lili Xue, Wencai Ren*, Feng Li, Lei Wen, Hui-Ming Cheng*, A LiF Nanoparticle-Modified Graphene Electrode for High-Power and High-Energy Lithium Ion Batteries, Advanced Functional Materials, 2012, 22, 3290-3297.
(26) Zhong-Shuai Wu, Wencai Ren, Li Xu, Feng Li, Hui-Ming Cheng. Doped Graphene Sheets as Anode Materials with Superhigh Rate and Large Capacity for Lithium Ion Batteries. ACS Nano 2011, 5(7): 5463-5471.
(27) Zhong-Shuai Wu, Da-Wei Wang, Wencai Ren, Jinping Zhao, Guangmin Zhou, Feng Li, Hui-Ming Cheng. Anchoring Hydrous RuO2 on Graphene Sheets for High-Performance Electrochemical Capacitors. Advanced Functional Materials 2010, 20(20): 3595-3602.
(28) Zhong-Shuai Wu, Wencai Ren, Lei Wen, Libo Gao, Jinping Zhao, Zongping Chen, Guangmin Zhou, Feng Li, Hui-Ming Cheng. Graphene Anchored with Co3O4 Nanoparticles as Anode of Lithium Ion Batteries with Enhanced Reversible Capacity and Cyclic Performance. ACS Nano 2010, 4(6): 3187-3194.
(29) Zhong-Shuai Wu, Wencai Ren, Da-Wei Wang, Feng Li, Bilu Liu, Hui-Ming Cheng. High-Energy MnO2 Nanowire/Graphene and Graphene Asymmetric Electrochemical Capacitors. ACS Nano 2010, 4(10): 5835-5842.
(30) Zhong-Shuai Wu, Wencai Ren, Libo Gao, Jinping Zhao, Zongping Chen, Bilu Liu, Daiming Tang, Bing Yu, Chuanbin Jiang, Hui-Ming Cheng. Synthesis of Graphene Sheets with High Electrical Conductivity and Good Thermal Stability by Hydrogen Arc Discharge Exfoliation. ACS Nano 2009, 3(2): 411-417.
(31) Zhong-Shuai Wu, Songfeng Pei, Wencai Ren, Daiming Tang, Libo Gao, Bilu Liu, Feng Li, Chang Liu, Hui-Ming Cheng. Field Emission of Single-Layer Graphene Films Prepared by Electrophoretic Deposition. Advanced Materials 2009, 21(17): 1756-1760.
(1) Preparation, Assembly and Applications of Graphene;
(2) Preparation and Applications of 2D Energy Materials;
(3) Micro-electrochemical Energy Storage Devices;
(4) Advanced Batteries and Supercapacitors.
石浩东 博士研究生 070304-物理化学
秦洁琼 博士研究生 070304-物理化学
王潇 博士研究生 070304-物理化学
马佳鑫 博士研究生 070304-物理化学
张莹 博士研究生 070304-物理化学
苏峰 博士研究生 070304-物理化学
毕志宏 博士研究生 070304-物理化学
董聪 博士研究生 070304-物理化学
Honors & Distinctions
Fellow of the Royal Society of Chemistry (FRSC, March 2020 -)
China's State Natual Science Award (2017)
"Excellent" in the final review of the CAS Hundred Talents Program in 2019 (2019)
"Talent Project of Revitalizing Liaoning" - Young Top - notch Talent (2018)
Liaoning "BaiQianWan Talents Program" - Bai Talents Level (2018)
Distinguished Expert of Provincial Federation Returned Overseas Chinese of Liaoning (2018)
Top 10 Highly-Cited Paper in China Over the Past Ten Years (2006-2016)
The 2019 Highly Cited Researchers in Materials Science (Clarivate Analytics)
The 2018 Highly Cited Researchers in Materials Science (Clarivate Analytics)
Global Peer Review Awards 2019 - Top 1% in Field (2019)
2019 Energy Storage Materials Young Scientist Award (2019)
Zhang Dayu Youth Scholar in DICP (2016-2021)
Technological Innovation Award of Dalian Institute of Chemical Physics, Chinese Academy of Sciences (2020)
Science Bulletin 2018 Best Paper Award (2019)
The Recipient of Dalian Municipal Government Special Allowance (2018)
The SABIC - CASS Scholarship in 2018
The Winner of CAS - BHPB Mentor Award in 2018
The Winner of the EnSM Excellent Reviewer Award (2018)
Journal of Materials Chemistry A Emerging Investigators (2018)
Member of Technology Committee for Inner Mongolia Institute of Graphene Materials (2016-2019)
Member of Standing Council of China Energy Environment Technology Association (2016)
Member of China Graphene Standardization Committee (CGSC) (2016)
Member of Standing Council of National Materials New Technology Development Research Institute (2016)
Dalian High-Level Talents (2015)
Excellence in Review Award for service to the journal Carbon in 2013/2014 (2015)
The First Distinguished Winner of the Carbon Journal Prize for Young Carbon Scientist (2013)
The Prize of Excellent Ph.D. Thesis of CAS (2012)
The Special Prize of President Scholarship for Postgraduate Students of CAS (2011)