Deputy Dean, College of Resources and Environment
19A Yuquan Road
Source Test & Apportionment; Analysis of Speciated Pollutants & Molecular Markers; Mechanism of Pollutant Transformation.
Environmental Monitoring: Instrument & Method Development
Aerosol Sampling System; Speciated Metal Analysis; On-line Monitoring System of Reactive Oxygen Species (ROS)
Research of Environmental Health
Source Apportionment of the Health Effect induced by Air Pollutants; Health Effects of ROS, Risk Evaluation of Air Pollutants
BE, Tianjin University, Fine Chemical Engineering, 1993
PhD, Peking University, Environmental Science, 2006
Hua JX, Zhang YX, de Foy B, Mei XD, Shang J, Feng C, 2021, Competing PM2.5 and NO2 holiday effects in the Beijing area vary locally due to differences in residential coal burning and traffic patterns, Science of The Total Environment, 750, 141575
Sulaymon, ID; Zhang, YX; Hopke, PK; Zhang, Y; Hua, JX; Mei, XD, 2021, COVID-19 pandemic in Wuhan: Ambient air quality and the relationships between criteria air pollutants and meteorological variables before, during, and after lockdown, Atmospheric Research, 250, 105362
Zhang Y, Li ZQ, Chang WY, Zhang YX, de Leeuw G, Schauer JJ, 2020, Satellite Observations of PM2.5 Changes and Driving Factors Based Forecasting Over China 2000-2025, Remote Sensing, 12(16), 2518
Bilsback KR, Baumgartner J, Cheeseman M, Ford B, Kodros JK, Li, XY, Ramnarine E, Tao S, Zhang, YX, Carter E, Pierce JR, 2020, Estimated Aerosol Health and Radiative Effects of the Residential Coal Ban in the Beijing-Tianjin-Hebei Region of China, Aerosol and Air Quality Research, 20(11), 2332-2346
- Shang J, Zhang YX, Schauer JJ, Tian JY, Hua JX, Han TT, Fang DQ, An JX, 2020, Associations between source-resolved PM2.5 and airway inflammation at urban and rural locations in Beijing. Environment International. 139， 105635.
- Wang YQ, Zhang YX, Schauer JJ, de Foy B; Cai TQ, Zhang Y, 2020, Impacts of Sources on PM2.5 Oxidation Potential during and after the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation Conference in Huairou, Beijing. Environmental Science & Technology, 54, 5, 2585-2594
- Sulaymon ID, Mei XD, Yang SJ, Chen SM, Zhang Y, Hopke PK, Schauer JJ, Zhang YX, 2020, PM2.5 in Abuja, Nigeria: Chemical characterization, source apportionment, temporal variations, transport pathways and the health risks assessment, Atmospheric Research, 237, 104833
- Fang DQ, Huang W, Antkiewicz DS, Wang YQ, Khuzestani RB, Zhang Y, Shang J, Shafer MM, He LY, Schauer JJ, Zhang YX, Zhao S, 2019, Chemical composition and health risk indices associated with size-resolved particulate matter in Pearl River Delta (PRD) region, China, Environmental Science and Pollution Research, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11356-019-04618-z
Baumgartner J, Clark S, Carter E, Lai A, Zhang YX, Shan M, Schauer JJ, Yang XD, 2019, Effectiveness of a Household Energy Package in Improving Indoor Air Quality and Reducing Personal Exposures in Rural China, Environmental Science and Technology, 53(15), 9306-931
Barrington-Leig C, Baumgartner J, Carter E, Robinson BE, Tao S, Zhang YX, 2019, An evaluation of air quality, home heating and well-being under Beijing's programme to eliminate household coal use, Nature Energy, 4(5),416-42
Lin, PC, He, WQ, Nie, L, Schauer, JJ, Wang, YQ, Yang, SJ, Zhang, YX, 2019, Comparison of PM2.5 emission rates and source profiles for traditional Chinese cooking styles, Environmental Science and Pollution Research, 26(21), 21239-21252
- Shang J, Khuzestani RB, Huang W, An JX, Schauer JJ, Fang DQ, Cai TQ, Tian JY, Yang SJ, Guo B, Zhang YX, 2018, Acute changes in a respiratory inflammation marker in guards following Beijing air pollution controls, Science of the Total Environment, 624,1539–1549
- Huang W, Fang DQ, Shang J, Li ZQ, Zhang Y, Huo P, Liu ZY, Schauer JJ, Zhang YX, 2018, Relative impact of short-term emissions controls on gas and particle-phaseoxidative potential during the 2015 China Victory Day Parade in Beijing, China, Atmospheric Environment 183, 49–56
- Khuzestani RB, Schauer JJ, Shang J, Cai TQ, Fang DQ, Wei YJ, Zhang LL, Zhang YX, 2018, Source apportionments of PM2.5 organic carbon during the elevated pollution episodes in the Ordos region, Inner Mongolia, China, Environmental Science and Pollution Research, 25:13159–13172
- Tian JY, Cai TQ, Shang J, Schauer JJ, Yang SJ, Zhang LJ, Zhang YX, 2018, Effects of the emergency control measures in Beijing on air quality improvement, Atmospheric Pollution Research, 10(2), 580-586
- Dou TF, Xiao CD, Du ZH, Schauer JJ, Ren H, Ge BZ, Xie AH, Tan JH, Fu PQ, Zhang YX, 2017, Sources, evolution and impacts of EC and OC in snow on sea ice: a measurement study in Barrow, Alaska, Science Bulletin 62, 1547–1554
- Xiang P, Zhou XM, Duan JC, Tan JH, He KB, Yuan C, Ma YL, Zhang YX, 2017, Chemical characteristics ofwater-soluble organic compounds (WSOC) in PM2.5 in Beijing, China: 2011–2012, Atmospheric Research 183, 104–112
- Khuzestani RB, Schauer JJ, Wei YJ, Zhang LL, Cai TQ, Zhang Y, Zhang YX, 2017, Quantification of the sources of long-range transport of PM2.5 pollution in the Ordos region, Inner Mongolia, China, Environmental Pollution 229, 1019-1031
- Wang YQ, de Foy B, Schauer JJ, Olson MR, Zhang Y, Li ZQ, Zhang YX, 2017, Impacts of regional transport on black carbon in Huairou, Beijing, China, Environmental Pollution, 221, 75-84
- Khuzestani RB, Schauer JJ, Wei YJ, Zhang Y, Zhang YX, 2017, A non-destructive optical color space sensing system to quantify elemental and organic carbon in atmospheric particulate matter on Teflon and quartz filters, Atmospheric Environment, 149, 84-94
- Cai TQ, Zhang Y, Fang DQ, Shang J, Zhang YX, Zhang YH, 2017, Chinese vehicle emissions characteristic testing with small sample size: Results and comparison, Atmospheric Pollution Research, 8, 154-163
- Zhang HF, Hu J, Qi YX, Li CL, Chen JM, Wang XM, He JW, Wang SX, Hao JM, Zhang LL, Zhang LJ, Zhang YX, Li RK, Wang SL, Chai FH, 2017, Emission characterization, environmental impact, and control measure of PM2.5 emitted from agricultural crop residue burning in China, Journal of Cleaner Production, 149, 629-635
- Huang W, Zhang YX, Zhang Y, Zeng LM, Dong HB, Huo P, Fang DQ, Schauer JJ, 2016, Development of an automated sampling-analysis system for simultaneous measurement of reactive oxygen species (ROS) in gas and particle phases: GAC-ROS, Atmospheric Environment, 134, 18-26
- Liu QY, Baumgartner J, Zhang YX, Schauer JJ, 2016, Source apportionment of Beijing air pollution during a severe winter haze event and associated pro-inflammatory responses in lung epithelial cells, Atmospheric Environment 126, 28-35
- Ni K, Carter EM, Schauer JJ, Ezzati M, Zhang YX, Niu HJ, Lai AM, Shan M, Wang YQ, Yang XD, Baumgartner J, 2016, Seasonal variation in outdoor, indoor, and personal air pollution exposures of women using wood stoves in the Tibetan Plateau: Baseline assessment for an energy intervention study, Environment International, 94, 449–457
- Secrest MH, Schauer JJ, Carter EM, Lai AM, Wang YQ, Shan M, Yang XD, Zhang YX, Baumgartner J, 2016, The oxidative potential of PM2.5 exposures from indoor and outdoor sources in rural China, Science of the Total Environment, 571, 1477–1489
- Wang YQ, Zhang Y, Schauer JJ, de Foy B, Guo B, Zhang YX, 2016, Relative impact of emissions controls and meteorology on air pollution mitigation associated with the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) conference in Beijing, China, Science of the Total Environment, 571, 1467–1476
- Cai TQ, Schauer JJ, Huang W, Fang DQ, Shang J, Wang YQ, Zhang YX, 2016, Sensitivity of source apportionment results to mobile source profiles, Environmental Pollution, 219, 821-828
- Haung, W., Zhang, Y.X., Zhang, Y., Fang, D.Q., Schauer, J.J., 2016, Optimization of the Measurement of Particle-Bound Reactive Oxygen Species with 2',7'-Dichlorofluorescin(DCFH), Water Air Soil Pollut, 227:164, DOI 10.1007/s11270-016-2860
- Dewan, N., Wang, Y.Q., Zhang, Y.X., He, L.Y., Huang, X.F., Majestic, B.J., 2016, Effect of Pollution Controls on Atmospheric PM2.5 Composition during Universiade in Shenzhen, China, Atmosphere, 7, 57; doi:10.3390/atmos7040057
- Zhang, Y., Huang, W., Cai, T.Q., Fang, D.Q., Wang, Y.Q., Song, J., Hu, M., Zhang, Y.X., 2016, Concentrations and chemical compositions of fine particles (PM2.5) during haze and non-haze days in Beijing, Atmospheric Research, 174-175, 62-69
- Huang W, Baumgartner J, Zhang YX, Wang YQ, Schauer JJ, 2015, Source apportionment of air pollution exposures of rural Chinese women cooking with biomass fuels, Atmospheric Environment, 104, 79-87
- Huang, W., Baumgartner, J., Zhang, Y.X., Wang, Y.Q., Schauer, J.J., 2015, Chemical composition and source apportionment of air pollution exposures of rural Chinese women cooking with biomass fuels, Atmospheric Environment, 104, 79-87.
- Shan, M., Yang, X.D., Ezzati, M, Chaturvedi, N, Coady, E., Hughes, A., Shi, Y.H., Yang, M., Zhang, Y.X., Baumgartner, J., 2014, A feasibility study of the association of exposure to biomass smoke with vascular function, inflammation, and cellular aging, Environmental Research, 135, 165-172
- Liu, Q., Baumgartner, J., Zhang, Y.X., Liu, Y.J., Sun, Y.J., Zhang, M., 2014, Oxidative potential and inflammatory impacts of source apportioned ambient air pollution in Beijing, Environmental Science & Technology, 48, 12920-12929.
- Baumgartner, J., Zhang, Y.X., Schauer, J.J., Huang, W., Wang, Y., Ezzati, M., 2014. Highway proximity and black carbon from cook stoves as a risk factor for higher blood pressure in rural China. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 111, 13229-13234.
- Li, Z.Y., Zhao, J.H., Qiao, X.H., Zhang, Y.X., 2014, An automated approach for conditioning discrete fracture network modeling to in situ measurements. Australia Journal of Earth Sciences, 61(5), 755-763.
- Zhang, M., Liu, Y., Zhang, Y.X., Liu, Q., 2014. Characterization of springtime airborne particulate matter-bound reactive oxygen species in Beijing. Environmental Science and Pollution Research 21, 9325-9333.
- Zhang Y., Shu J.N., Zhang Y.X., Yang B., 2013, Homogeneous and heterogeneous reactions of anthracene with selected atmospheric oxidants. Journal of Environmental Sciences, doi: 10.1016/S1001-0742(12)60233-2.
- Zhang Y., Shu J.N., Liu C.G., Zhang Y.X., Yang B., Gan J., 2013, Heterogeneous reaction of particle-associated triphenylene with NO3 radicals. Atmospheric Environment, 68, 114-119
- Baumgartner J., Zhang Y.X., Schauer J.J., Ezzati M., Patz J.A., Bautista L.E.,2012. Household Air Pollution and Children’s Blood Pressure. Epidemiology 23(4): 641-642.
- Ding N., Zhao H., Peng W.B., He Y.J., Zhou Y., Yuan L.F., Zhang Y.X., 2012. A Simple Colorimetric Sensor Based on Anti-aggregation of Gold Nanoparticles for Hg2+ Detection. Colloids and Surfaces A: Physicochemical and Engineering Aspects 395: 161-167.
- Wang, Q., Shao, M., Zhang, Y.X., Wei, Y., Hu, M., Guo, S., 2009. Source apportionment of fine organic aerosols in Beijing. Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics 9, 8573-8585.
- Zhang Y.X., Sheesley R.J., Bae M.S., Schauer J.J., 2009. Sensitivity of a Molecular Marker Based Positive Matrix Factorization Model to the Number of Receptor Observations. Atmospheric Environment 43(32): 4951-4958.
- Zhang Y.X., Sheesley R.J., Schauer J.J., Lewandowski M., Jaoui M., Offenberg J.H., Kleindienst T.E., 2009. Source Apportionment of Primary and Secondary Organic Aerosol Using Positive Matrix Factorization (PMF) of Molecular Markers. Atmospheric Environment 43(34): 5567-5574.
- Quraishi T.A., Schauer J.J., Zhang Y.X., 2009. Understanding Sources of Airborne Water Soluble Metals in Lahore, Pakistan. Kuwait Journal of Science and Engineering 36(1A):43-62.
- Zhang Y.X., Schauer J.J., Stone E.A., Zhang Y.H., Shao M., Wei Y.J., Zhu X.L., 2009. Harmonizing Molecular Marker Analyses of Organic Aerosols. Aerosol Science And Technology 43(4):275-283.
- Zhang Y.X., Schauer J.J., Shafer M.M., Hannigan M.P., Dutton S.J., 2008. Source Apportionment of in Vitro Reactive Oxygen Species Bioassay Activity from Atmospheric Particulate Matter. Environmental Science & Technology 42(19):7502-7509.
- Zhang Y.X., Quraishi T., Schauer J.J., 2008. Daily Variation in Source of Carbonaceous Aerosol in Lahore, Pakistan during a High Polluting Spring Episode. Aerosol and Air Quality Research 8(2):130-146.
- Zhang Y.X., Schauer J.J., Zhang Y.H., Zeng L.M., Wei Y.J., Liu Y., Shao M., 2008. Characteristics of particulate carbon emissions from real-world Chinese coal combustion. Environmental Science & Technology 42(14):5068-5073.
- Zhang Y.X., Shao M., Zhang Y.H., Zeng L.M., He L.Y., Zhu B., Wei Y.J., Zhu X.L., 2007. Source profiles of particulate organic matters emitted from cereal straw burnings. Journal of Environmental Sciences-China 19(2):167-175.
- YuanXun Zhang and YuanHang Zhang, Speciation of Particular Organic Matter from Combustion Sources, Lambert Academic Publishing, 2010 (ISBN: 978-3-8383-4421-8)
- Zhang Yang, Zhang Yuanxun and Wang Yuqin. The Concentration of Elemental and Organic Carbon in PM2.5 during and after the 2011 Shenzhen UNIVERSIADE. 12th IGAC Open Science Conference. Beijing, September 17-21, 2012.
- Liu Qingyang, Zhang Yuanxun, and Zhang Yang. Personal exposure of carbonyl compounds and BTEXs and their source characteristics in residential dwellings of Beijing city, China. 12th IGAC Open Science Conference. Beijing, September 17-21, 2012.
- Baumgartner J, Zhang YX, Schauer JJ., Wang YQ, Ezzati M. Advanced air pollution exposure assessment and implications for blood pressure in Chinese women cooking with biomass, International Society for Environmental Epidemiology 24th Annual Conference – ISEE2012, Columbia, South Carolina, USA. August 2012.
- Baumgartner J, Zhang YX, Ezzati M, Bautista L, Schauer JJ. Black carbon is more strongly associated with cardiovascular risk than PM2.5 in women cooking with biomass fuels. Poster presentation at the International Society for Environmental Epidemiology (ISEE) meeting in Barcelona, Spain. September 2011.
- Wang Y, Xia X, Chalupa DC, Zhang YX, Hopke PK, Utell MJ. Source apportionment of airborne particulate matter in Rochester, NY. The second International Conference on Air Pollution and Control (CAPAC-II) in Antalya, Turkey. September 2011.
- Philip K. Hopke, Thomas M. Holsen, YuanXun Zhang, Xiaoyan Xia, Tiffany J. Zananski, Edmund Mc-Addy, Mark Omara. Quantification of Organic Molecular Markers in Aerosols Collected in Syracuse, NY. The 28th Annual Conference of AAAR, October 26-30, 2009, Minneapolis, Minnesota.
- Suresh Raja, James Laing, YuanXun Zhang, Tiffany J. Zananski, Thomas M. Holsen, Phillip K. Hopke, David Dungate. Organic Composition of Stack Emissions from a High Efficiency Wood Boiler. The 28th Annual Conference of AAAR, October 26-30, 2009, Minneapolis, Minnesota.
- James Jay Schauer, YuanXun Zhang, Taussef Quraishi. Understanding the Impacts of Biomass Burning and Fossil Fuel Combustion Sources on Particulate Matter in Lahore, Pakistan. The 14th World Clean Air and Environmental Protection Congress, The International Union of Air Pollution Prevention and Environmental Protection Associations – IUAPPA, September 9-13, 2007, Brisbane, Australia
- YuanXun Zhang, Characteristics of particulate organic matter from combustion sources in China. Environmental Chemistry & Technology Seminar, April 27, 2007, Madison, Wisconsin, US
- Yuanhang Zhang, Xianlei Zhu, Bin Zhu, YuanXun Zhang, and Limin Zeng. Chemical Characteristics of Organic Compounds from Crop Straw Burning in Some Areas of China. Interim Statements of Urban Environmental Engineering, July 26-27, 2004, Naha, Okinawa, Japan
Chinese Research Academy of Environmental Sciences (CRAES)
Institute of Remote Sensing Application, Chinese Academy of Sciences
University of Wisconsin-Madison
University of Minnesota-Twin Cities
ZHANG, Yang (Assistant Professor)
WANG, Yuqin (Ph.D. Student, 2011-)
HUANG, Wei (Ph.D. Student, 2012-)
FANG, Dongqing (Master Student, 2012-)
CAI, Tianqi (Ph.D. Student, 2012-)
LIN, Pengchuan (Master Student, 2013-)
SHANG Jing (Ph.D. Student, 2014-)
KHUZESTANI, Reza Bashiri (Ph.D. Student, 2014-)
YANG, Shujian (Master Student, 2014-)
ZHAO, Jing (Visiting Student, 2015)
ZHANG Yang (Post Doctoral Scholar)
LIU, Qingyang (Ph.D., 2015)
WU, Hanhan (Visiting Student, 2011)
SHI Luming (Visiting Student, 2012)
CHENG Lin (Visiting Student, 2012)
- 2010-present, Professor in College of Resources & Environmental;
- 2008-2010, Lab Director in Center for Air Resources Engineering and Science, Clarkson University, Potsdam, New York;
- 2006-2008, Post-doctoral researcher, research associate in Environmental Chemistry &Technology Program, University of Wisconsin-Madison;
- 2000-2006, Ph. D. candidate of Environmental Sciences in College of Environmental Science, Peking University, Beijing, China;
- 1995-2000, Engineer in Qingdao A&A Environmental Engineering Co, Ltd., Shandong China;
- 1993-1995, Assistant Engineer in Qingdao Dongrui Pharmaceutical Co., Ltd., Shandong, China;
- 1989-1993, Undergraduate student in Department of Fine Chemical Engineering, Tianjin University, Tianjin, China
- Advanced Environmental Analysis and Monitoring (#822009Y)
- Seminar of Advances in Environmental Analysis and Monitoring (#827008Y)