Dr. Tinggang Li is a Professor in the Institute of Process Engineering, Chinese Academy of Sciences. He received his Ph.D. degree from Research Center for Eco-Environmental Sciences, Chinese Academy of Sciences in 2008. He carried out joint Ph.D. study in Nanyang Technological University, Singapore from 2006 to 2008. He joined the Research Center for Eco-Environmental Sciences, Chinese Academy of Sciences as an assistant professor in 2008. He was a research fellow at the National University of Singapore for nine years from 2010 to 2019 before joining the Institute of Process Engineering, Chinese Academy of Sciences as a Professor in 2019. Dr. Li’s research focuses on environmental biotechnology, discovering novel microorganisms to directly transform and detoxify environmental contaminants, converting sustainable biomass to biofuels and value-added biochemicals, biofilm technology and environmental application of genomics.
Energy, resource and environmental biotransformation
Bioremediation of soil, sediments, and groundwater
Professor, Institute of Process Engineering, Chinese Academy of Sciences (2019-present).
Research fellow, National University of Singapore (2010-2019).
Assistant Professor, Research Center for Eco-Environmental Sciences, Chinese Academy of Sciences (2008-2010).
1. Zhang C., Li T. G., Su G. D., He J. Enhanced direct fermentation from food waste to butanol and hydrogen by an amylolytic Clostridium. Renewable Energy 2020, 153: 522–529. IF=5.439.
2. Xu W. C., Zhao H., Cao H. B., Zhang Y. X., Sheng Y. X., Li T. G., Zhou S. Y., Li H. B. New insights of enhanced anaerobic degradation of refractory pollutants in coking wastewater: Role of zero-valent iron in metagenomic functions. Bioresource Technology 2020, 300: 122667. IF=6.669.
3. Li T. G*., Liu J. X*. Factors affecting performance and functional stratification of membrane-aerated biofilm with a counter-diffusion configuration. RSC Advances 2019, 9: 29337–29346. (*corresponding author).
4. Li T. G., Zhang C., Yang K.-L., He J. Unique genetic cassettes in a Thermoanaerobacterium contribute to simultaneous conversion of cellulose and monosugars into butanol. Science Advances 2018, 4: e1701475.
5. Zhang C., Li T. G., He J. Characterization and genome analysis of a butanol-isopropanol-producing Clostridium beijerinckii. Biotechnology for Biofuels 2018, 11: 280.
6. Li T. G., Wu, Y., He J. Heterologous expression, characterization and application of a new β-xylosidase identified in solventogenic Clostridium sp. strain BOH3. Process Biochemistry 2018, 67: 99–104.
7. Li T. G*., Liu J. X*. Rapid formation of biofilm grown on gas-permeable membrane induced by famine incubation. Biochemical Engineering Journal 2017, 121: 156–162. (*corresponding author).
8. Li T. G., He J. Simultaneous saccharification and fermentation of hemicellulose to butanol by a non-sporulating Clostridium species. Bioresource Technology 2016, 219: 430–438.
9. Yan Y., Basu A., Li T. G., He J. Direct conversion of xylan to butanol by a wild-type Clostridium species strain G117. Biotechnology and Bioengineering 2016, 113: 1702–1710.
10. Li T. G., Yan Y., He J. Enhanced direct fermentation of cassava to butanol by Clostridium species strain BOH3 in cofactor-mediated medium. Biotechnology for Biofuels 2015, 8: 166.
11. Li T. G., Yan Y., He J. Reducing cofactors contribute to the increase of butanol production by a wild-type Clostridium sp. strain BOH3. Bioresource Technology 2014, 155: 220–228.
12. Dong H. Y., Qiang Z. M., Li T. G., Jin H., Chen W. D. Effect of artificial aeration on the performance of vertical-flow constructed wetland treating heavily polluted river water. Journal of Environmental Science 2012, 24: 596–601.
13. Li M. K., Qiang Z. M., Li T. G., Bolton J. R., Liu C. L. In situ measurement of UV fluence rate distribution by use of a micro fluorescent silica detector. Environmental Science & Technology 2011, 45: 3034–3039.
14. Li T. G., Bai R. B., Ohandja D. G., Liu J. X. Biodegradation of acetonitrile by adapted biofilm in a membrane-aerated biofilm reactor. Biodegradation 2009, 20: 569–580.
15. Li T. G., Liu J. X., Bai R. B., Wong F.S. Membrane-aerated biofilm reactor for the treatment of acetonitrile wastewater. Environmental Science & Technology 2008, 42: 2099–2104.
16. Li T. G., Bai R. B., Liu J. X. Distribution and composition of extracellular polymeric substances in membrane-aerated biofilm. Journal of Biotechnology 2008, 135: 52–57.
17. Li T. G., Liu J. X., Bai R. B. Membrane aerated biofilm reactors: a brief current review. Recent Patents on Biotechnology 2008, 2: 88–93.
18. Li T. G., Liu J. X., Bai R. B., Ohandja D. G., Wong F.S. Biodegradation of organonitriles by adapted activated sludge consortium with acetonitrile-degrading microorganisms. Water Research 2007, 41: 3465–3473.
19. Li T. G., Li X. F., Chen J., Zhang G. P., Wang H. C. Treatment of landfill leachate by electrochemical oxidation and anaerobic process. Water Environment Research 2007, 79: 514–520.
Energy, resource and environmental direct biotechnology
Direct biotransformation of hazardous pollutants
Bioremediation of soil, sediments, and groundwater
Biomass to bioenergy and value-added biochemicals
Green synthesis of catalytic functional materials