Shuangyi Wang, Research Assoc. Prof.
PhD in Biomedical Engineering
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com;
Corresponding address：Room 1013, Automation Building, 95 Zhongguancun East Road, Beijing, China,100190
Research Areas: Medical robotics, Intelligent ultrasound, Robotic-assisted surgery, Interventional guidance, Computer-aided design
Research contents: 1) System developments of the intra-operative ultrasound robots, portable extra-corporeal ultrasound robots, and interventional surgical robots; 2) Tracking and navigation problems during robotic-assisted surgery, platform design based on Unity, PLUS, 3D Slicer, and CoppeliaSim; 3) Remote control and interaction methods of medical robots with IoT and 5G; 4) Computer-aided design for sensors and implants, simulation study based on Solidworks and Ansys.
Master research students, visiting students, working-experience students interested or expertise in mechanical engineering, robotics, electronics and automation, computer science, and biomedical engineering are all warmly welcome to work in our research group. Together we'll build exciting robots and produce high-impact research outputs that will contribute to the medical robotics society.
Our research group has very close collaborations with several universities, such as King's College London, Brunel University, Nottingham Trent University, Fudan University, and industrial companies, such as Xtronics, Ltd. UK. and Beijing ViSystem Corporation Ltd. China.
Dr. Shuangyi Wang received his PhD degree from School of Biomedical Engineering and Imaging Sciences, King's College London working on developing the world first image-guided robotic trans-esophageal ultrasound system supervised by Prof. Kawal Rhode and Prof. Kaspar Althoefer, as well as supported by the director of Xtronics, Ltd., Mr. Davinder Singh. Subsequently, he has been working on building new extra-corporeal ultrasound robots for the intelligent fetal imaging and diagnosis (known as the iFind project) when he was taking the Post-doctoral research position at King's College London. In 2019, he was appointed as the research associate professor in Chinese Academy of Sciences, Institute of Automation (CASIA). In CASIA, he successfully secured the research fundings issued from the CAS Talents Program and National Natural Science Foundation of China on robotic ultrasound research.
During his working time in UK, he has been working on the projects funded by the EPSRC, Wellcome Trust and HTC and took the leading role in developing robotic systems used in different medical scenerios. Since starting research in 2013, he has been actively involved in scientific research and published more than 20 research papers on the topic of medical robotics including publications in the top journals and conferences, such as IEEE RA Magazine, IEEE RA Letters, IEEE T-BME, IEEE T-MRB, MICCAI, IROS, TAROS. His current research interests include medical robotics, robotic ultrasound, computer-assisted interventions, and robotic-assisted diagnosis.
2019-11~Present Research Assoc. Prof., Chinese Academy of Sciences, Institute of Automation (CASIA)
2016-10~2019-10 Research Associate, School of Biomedical Engineering and Imaging Sciences, St Thomas' Hospital, King's College London, UK
2013-10~2017-10 PhD in Biomedical Engineering, School of Biomedical Engineering and Imaging Sciences, King's College London (Supervised by Prof. Kawal Rhode and Prof. Kaspar Althoefer)
2009-09~2013-07 BEng in Biomedical Engineering, School of Precision Instrument & Optoelectronics Engineering, Tianjin University (3+1 Honours Degree in Mechanical Engineering, University of Dundee)
1. Robotic Trans-esophageal Ultrasound and Intelligent Navigation System:
2. Single and Dual-probe Robotic Systems for Extra-corporeal Ultrasound Examinations:
3. Remote-controlled Robotic Systems to Assist the COVID-19 Nasopharyngeal Swab Sampling:
Papers (Recent 5 years)
1. Wang, S., Housden, J., Bai, T., Liu, H., Back, J., Singh, D., Rhode, K., Hou, Z., & Wang, F. Robotic Intra-operative Ultrasound: Virtual Environments and Parallel Systems. IEEE/CAA Journal of Automatica Sinica, 8(5), 1095-1106, 2021.
2. Bao, X.*, Wang, S., Housden, J., Hajnal, J., Rhode, K. A Constant-force End-effector with Online Force Adjustment for Robotic Ultrasonography. IEEE Robotics and Automation Letters, 6(2), 2547-2554, 2021.
3. Housden, J., Wang, S.*, Bao, X., Zheng, J., Skelton, E., Matthew, J., Noh, Y., Eltirafi, O., Singh, A., Singh, D., & Rhode, K. Towards Standardization Acquisition with a Dual-probe Ultrasound Robot for Fetal Imaging. IEEE Robotics and Automation Letters, 6(2), 1059-1065, 2021.
4. Wang, S.*, Wang, K., Tang, R., Qiao, J., Liu, H., & Zeng, H. Design of a Low-cost Miniature Robot to Assist COVID-19 Nasalpharyngeal Swab Sampling. IEEE Transactions on Medical Robotics and Bionics, 3(1), 289-293, 2021.
5. Wang, S.*, Noh, Y., Brown, J., Li, Y., Wang, S., Housden, R., Ester, M. C., ... , & Rhode, K. Development and Testing of an Ultrasound-Compatible Cardiac Phantom for Interventional Procedure Simulation Using Direct 3D Printing. 3D Printing and Additive Manufacturing, 7(6), 269-278, 2020.
6. Lindenroth, L., Housden, J., Wang, S., Back, J., Rhode, K., & Liu, H*. Design and integration of a parallel, soft robotic end-effector for extracorporeal ultrasound. IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering, 67(8), 2215-229, 2019.
7. Wang, S.*, Housden, J., Noh, Y., Singh, S., Back, J., Lindenroth, L., Liu, H., Hajnal, J., Althoefer, K., Singh, D., & Rhode, K. Design and Implementation of a Bespoke Robotic Manipulator for Extra-corporeal Ultrasound. Journal of Visualized Experiments (JoVE), 143, e58811, 2019. (https://www.jove.com/video/58811)
9. Wang, S.*, Housden, J., Singh, D., & Rhode, K. Design and Implementation of a Low-cost Training System for Trans-Esophageal Ultrasound. Journal of Medical Imaging and Health Informatics, 8(7), 1532–1537, 2018.
9. Wang, S.*, Housden, J., Zar, A., Gandecha, R., Singh, D., & Rhode, K. Strategy for Monitoring Cardiac Interventions with an Intelligent Robotic Ultrasound Device. Micromachines, 9(2), 65, 2018.
10. Wang, S.*, Singh, D., Johnson, D., Althoefer, K., Rhode, K., & Housden, R. J. Robotic Ultrasound: View Planning, Tracking, and Automatic Acquisition of Trans-esophageal Echocardiography. IEEE Robotics & Automation Magazine, 23(4), 118-127, 2016.
11. Wang, S., Housden, J., Singh, D., Althoefer, K., & Rhode, K*. Design, testing and modelling of a novel robotic system for trans-oesophageal ultrasound. The International Journal of Medical Robotics and Computer Assisted Surgery, 12(3), 342-354, 2016.
Chapters and Conference Papers:
1. Tang, R., Zheng, J., Wang, S.* Design of Novel End-effectors for Robot-assisted Swab Sampling to Combat Respiratory Infectious Diseases. In 43rd Annual Interntational Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine & Biology Society (EMBC), 2021.
2. Deng, Z., Hou, X., Wang, S.* Optimization of a 6-RSS Stewart-Gough Robotic Platform to Assist Ultrasound Diagnosis. In IEEE International Conference on Digital Twins and Parallel Intelligence (IEEE-DTPI), 2021.
3. Zheng, J., Wang, S.*, Housden, J., Hou, Z., Singh, D., & Rhode, K. A Safety Joint with Passive Compliant and Manual Override Mechanisms for Medical Robotics. In IEEE International Conference on Intelligence and Safety for Robotics (IEEE-ISR), 2021.
4. Wang, S.*, Hou, X., Housden, J., Hou, Z., Singh, D., & Rhode, K. IoT-based Remote Control Study of a Robotic Trans-esophageal Ultrasound Probe via LAN and 5G, Advances in Simplifying Medical UltraSound (ASMUS), 23rd International Conference on Medical Image Computing and Computer Assisted Intervention (MICCAI). Lecture Notes in Computer Science, 12437, 2020.
5. Noh, Y.*, Lindenroth, L., Wang, S., Housden, R. J., van Wingerden, A. S., Li, W., & Rhode, K. A 2-piece six-axis force/torque sensor capable of measuring loads applied to tools of complex shapes. In IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems (IROS), 2019.
6. Wang, S.*, Housden, J., Noh, Y., Singh, D., Singh, A., Skelton, E., Matthew, J., Tan, C., Back, J., Lindenroth, L., Gomez, A., Toussaint, N., Zimmer, V., Knight, C., Fletcher, T., Lloyed, D., Simpson, J., Pasupathy, D., Liu, H., Althoefer, K., Hajnal, J., Razavi, R., & Rhode, K., Robotic-assisted Ultrasound for Fetal Imaging: Evolution from Single-arm to Dual-arm System. In 20th Towards Autonomous Robotic Systems Conference (TAROS). Lecture Notes in Artificial Intelligence, 27-38, 2019.
7 Wang, S.*, Zar, A., Gandecha, R., Singh, D., Housden, R., & Rhode, K. Towards the use of a robotic 3-D trans-esophageal ultrasound system for monitoring cardiac interventions: study of the workflow. 7th Joint Workshop on New Technologies for Computer/Robot Assisted Surgery (CRAS), 2017.
8. Wang, S.*, Singh, D., Lau, D., Reddy, K., Althoefer, K., Rhode, K., & Housden, R. J. Probe Tracking and Its Application in Automatic Acquisition Using a Trans-Esophageal Ultrasound Robot. In 3rd International Workshop on Computer-Assisted and Robotic Endoscopy, 19th International Conference on Medical Image Computing and Computer Assisted Intervention (MICCAI). Lecture Notes in Computer Science, 10170, 14-23, 2016.
9. Karim, R.*, Ataollahi, A.,Wang, S., Back, J., Liu, H., Razavi, R., Althoefer, K., Schaeffter, T., & Rhode, K. Robotic image-guidance of an MR-compatible catheter for left atrium ablation with flattened maps for procedure planning. The Hamlyn Symposium on Medical Robotics, 2014.
10. Wang, S.*, Housden, R. J., Singh, D., Althoefer, K. A., & Rhode, K. Development of a robotic trans-esophageal ultrasound probe manipulator. Design of Medical Device Conference Europe (DMD-EU), 2014.