Institute of Urban Environment, Chinese Academy of Sciences
Telephone: 0086-592-6190782(O) 0086-592-6190782(Lab)
Address: 1799, Jimei Road, Xiamen, China
2. Membrane fouling: process and mechanism
3. Membrane Bioreactor with slug bubbling
4. Water & Wastewater treatment, Seperationand purification technology
Education and Research
7/2013-12/2013: Royal Academy of Engineering Visiting researcher, Department of Engineering Science, University of Oxford, Collaborated with Prof. Robert Field and Prof. Ian Thompson. Biofilm control: developing the role of nano-silver and the modelling of biofilm development, supported by RAEng,UK
8/2006- Institute of Urban Environment, Chinese Academy of Sciences
6/2010-9/2010 Department of Chemical Engineering, University of Oxford
6/2005-6/2006 Department of Engineering Sciences,University of Oxford
9/2000-5/2005 Ph.D. Graduate school of Chinese Academy of Sciences
9/1996-7/2000 B.S. College of Marine Biology, Ocean University of China
Development of polymer mixed matrix membranes loaded with porous additive for liquid separations. Bureau of International Cooperation, CAS. 1.0M (2018.1-2020.12) .
2D nanocomposite membrane: process and mechanism. Bureau of Frontier Science and Education, CAS. 2.5 M (2017.7-2021.12)
2D nanocomposite nanofiltration membrane for the next generation water treatment. Bureau of International Cooperation, CAS. 1.0M (2016.1-2018.12)
Nanofiltration membranes and facilities for water purification. Sunrain Co. Ltd. 2.3 M(ongoing)
Antifouling Flat Sheet Membrane Bioreactors. Oxiamembrane Co.Ltd. 1.6 M(ongoing)
Fabrication of advanced nanofiltration membrane: from lab to industry. Supported by Xiamen Bureau of Science and Technology. 500K
Microcosmic process and controlling strategy of membrane fouling in MBR. Supported by National Nature Science Foundation of China (No. 50708090) 200K
A new approach to non-invasive studies of membrane fouling process by surface-enhanced Raman spectroscopy. Supported by Natural Science Foundation of Fujian Province (No. 2009J5032) 50K
Innovation on anti-fouling and the molecular mechanism of biofouling in MBR. Supported by the Knowledge Innovation Program of CAS (No.KZCX2-YW-452) 1.15M
Anaerobic membrane bioreactors: molecular microbial ecology of anaerobic granular biomass and anti-fouling strategy. Scholarship of President of CAS. 100K
Advanced thin film nanocomposite NF membrane: fabrication, characterization and process. Supported by IUE, CAS,800K
Advanced nanocomposite membrane for gasoline recycle. Supported by Bureau of Science and Technology for development, CAS. 600K
Anti-fouling membrane material with biomimic nanostructure: design and fabrication. Supported by the K.C.Wong Education Foundation, Hong Kong. 100K
Biological dewater process and agriculture reuse of the sludge from municipal wastewater treatment plant. Supported by Ministry of Science and Technology, China (2008ZX07317-0032) 815K
Anaerobic bioreactor with seaweed bioflim and its application to treat the first flush rainwater. Supported by Foundation of Key Lab of CAS. 30K
Membrane bioreactor with slug bubbling. Supported by the Knowledge Innovation Program of CAS. 100K
Biofilm control and modeling with biogenic nano silver. The Research Exchange with China/India scheme, Royal Academy of Engineering (2013) (with Robert Field, and Ian Thompson, Oxford)．12K GBP.
The enhanced biodry process for sludge treatment in pilot scale. Research and development with a local company．Supported by Xiamen Bureau of Science and Technology.600K．
Eco-block for recycling urban waste solid. Supported by Xiamen Bureau of Science and Technology. with Prof. C.S.Poon, HK PolyU. 400K
Demo projects of low cost decentralized wastewater treatment in typical rural area in Longyan,Fujian. Fujian Department of Sciences and Technology. 300K. (Three projects focus on town, commercialized community and country side respectively)
Demo project of wastewater recycling and rainwater harvesting in Urban Community. 400K.
2. Bing Wang, Kaisong Zhang*, Robert. W. Field. Slug bubbling in flat sheet MBRs: Hydrodynamic optimization of membrane design variables through computational and experimental studies. Journal of Membrane Science, 2018,548:165-175.
3. Wu, Xing; Shaibani, Mahdokht; Smith, Stefan; Konstas, Kristina; Hill, Matthew; Wang, Huanting; Zhang, Kaisong*; Xie, Zongli*. Microporous carbon from fullerene impregnated porous aromatic frameworks for improving desalination performance of thin film composite forward osmosis membranes. Journal of Materials Chemistry A. 2018.
4. Manying Zhang*, Minglai Fu, Kaisong Zhang*. Graphitic-like carbon nitride improved thermal stability and photocatalytic antifouling performance of polyether sulfone membranes. Desalination and Water Treatment. (2018) doi: 10.5004/dwt.2018.21881
5. Ruizhi Pang and Kaisong Zhang*, Fabrication of hydrophobic fluorinated silica-polyamide thin film nanocomposite reverse osmosis membranes with dramatically improved salt rejection, Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, 2018, 510, 127–132.
6. Xing Wu, Robert W. Field, Junjie Wu, Kaisong Zhang*. Polyvinylpyrrolidone modified graphene oxide as a modifier for thin film composite forward osmosis membranes. Journal of Membrane Science. 2017. 540:251-260.
7. Olusegun K.Abass, MaoshuiZhuo, KaisongZhang*. Concomitant degradation of complex organics and metals recovery from fracking wastewater: Roles of nano zerovalent iron initiated oxidation and adsorption. Chemical Engineering Journal.2017,328:159-171
8. Yi Li, Sha Li, Kaisong Zhang*. Influence of hydrophilic carbon dots on polyamide thin film nanocomposite reverse osmosis membranes. Journal of Membrane Science. 2017.537:42-53.
9. Ruizhi Pang, Kaisong Zhang*. Ruizhi Pang and Kaisong Zhang*, A facile and viable approach to fabricate polyamide membranes functionalized with graphene oxide nanosheets, RSC Advances, 2017, 7, 53463–53471.
10. Ruizhi Pang, Kaisong Zhang*. High-flux polyamide reverse osmosis membranes by surface grafting 4-(2-hydorxyethyl) morpholine. RSC Advances. 2017,7,40705-40710.
11. X. Wu, F. Fang, K. Zhang*, Graphene oxide modified forward osmosis membranes with improved hydrophilicity and desalination performance, Desalin. Water Treat., 85 (2017) 73-83.
12. Muayad Al-Shaeli, Stefan J. D. Smith, Ezzatollah Shamsaei, Huanting Wang, Kaisong Zhang and Bradley P. Ladewig*. Highly fouling-resistant brominated poly(phenylene oxide) membranes using surface grafted diethylenetriamine. RSC Advances. 2017, 7, 37324–37330.
13. Y. Li, K. Zhang*, Pilot scale treatment of polluted surface waters using membrane-aerated biofilm reactor (MABR). Biotechnology & Biotechnological Equipment. 2017:1-11.
14. Bifeng Zhang, Li Cui*, Kaisong Zhang*. Dosage- and time-dependent antibacterial effect of zinc oxide nanoparticles determined by a highly uniform SERS negating undesired spectral variation. Analytical and Bioanalytical Chemistry, 2016, 408(14), 3853-3865.
15. Martin Kögler*, Bifeng Zhang, Li Cui*, Yunjie Shi, Marjo Yliperttula, Timo Laaksonen, Tapani Viitala, Kaisong Zhang. Real-time Raman based approach for identification of biofouling. Sensors and Actuators B: Chemical, 2016, 230: 411-421.
16. Li Cui, Yingjiao Zhang, Wei E. Huang, Bifeng Zhang, Francis Luke Martin, Junyi Li, Kaisong Zhang, and Yongguan Zhu*. Surface-enhanced Raman spectroscopy identifies heavy metal arsenic(V)-mediated enhancing effect on antibiotic resistance. Analytical Chemistry, 2016, 88(6): 3164-3170.
17. Shasha Liu, Manying Zhang, Fang Fang, Li Cui, Junjie Wu, Robert Field, Kaisong Zhang*. Biogenic silver nanocomposite TFC nanofiltration membrane with antifouling properties. Desalination and water treatment, 2016 , 57 (23) :1-12
18. Li Cui*, Pengyu Chen, Bifeng Zhang, Dayi Zhang, Junyi Li, Francis L. Martin, Kaisong Zhang*. Interrogating chemical variation via layer-by-layer SERS during biofouling and cleaning of nanofiltration membranes with further investigations into cleaning efficiency. Water Research. 2015. 87:282-291.
19. Shasha Liu, Fang Fang, Junjie Wu, Kaisong Zhang*. The anti-biofouling properties of thin-film composite nanofiltration membranes grafted with biogenic silver nanoparticles. Desalination.2015. 375: 121-128.
20. Olusegun K. Abass, Xing Wu, Youzhi Guo, Kaisong Zhang*.Membrane Bioreactor in China: A Critical Review. International Journal of Membrane Science and Technology.2015. 2(2), 29–47.
21. Pengyu Chen, Li Cui*, Kaisong Zhang*.Surface-enhanced Raman spectroscopy monitoring the development of dual-species biofouling on membrane surfaces. Journal of Membrane Science, 2015, 473: 36-44
22. Li Cui*, Shaode Chen, Kaisong Zhang*.Effect of toxicity of Ag nanoparticles on SERS spectral variance of bacteria. Spectrochimica Acta Part A: Molecular and Biomolecular Spectroscopy, 2015, 137:1061-1066
23. Manying Zhang, Robert W. Field, Kaisong Zhang*. Biogenic silver nanocomposite polyethersulfone UF membranes with antifouling properties. Journal of Membrane Science, 2014,471: 274-284
24. Jun Xiang, Zongli Xie, Manh Hoang, Derrick Ng, Kaisong Zhang*. Effect of ammonium salts on the properties of poly(piperazineamide) thin film composite nanofiltration membrane. Journal of Membrane Science, 2014, 465:34-40
25. Juan Zhang, Manying Zhang, Kaisong Zhang*. Fabrication of poly(ether sulfone)/poly(zinc acrylate) ultrafiltration membrane with anti-biofouling properties. Journal of Membrane Science, 2014,460:18-24
26. Manying Zhang, Kaisong Zhang*, Bart De Gusseme, Willy Verstraete, Robert Field. The antibacterial and antibiofouling performance of biogenic silver nanoparticles by Lactobacillus fermentum. Biofouling. 2014. 30(3): 347-357.
27. Jian Huang, Huanting Wang, Kaisong Zhang*. Modification of PES membrane with Ag-SiO2: reduction of biofouling and improvement of filtration performance.Desalination.2014. 336:8-17
28. Peng Wei, Kaisong Zhang*,Weimin Gao, Lingxue Kong, Robert Field. CFD Modeling of Hydrodynamic Characteristics of Slug Bubble Flow in A Flat Sheet Membrane Bioreactor. Journal of Membrane Science. 2013, 445:15-24.
29. Li Cui*, Pengyu Chen，Shaode Chen,Zhihua Yuan,Changping Yu, Kaisong Zhang*.In-situ study of the antibacterial mechanism of silver nanoparticles on Escherichia coli by surface-enhanced Raman spectroscopy. Analytical Chemistry. 2013,85,5436-5443.
30. Rebecca S. L. Yee, Kaisong Zhang, Bradley P. Ladewig*. The effects of sulfonated poly(ether ketone) ion exchange preparation conditions on membrane properties. Membranes. 2013 3(3), 182-195.
31. Jun Xiang, Zongli Xie, Manh Hoang, Kaisong Zhang*. Effect of amine salt surfactants on the performance of thin film composite poly(piperazine-amide nanofiltration membranes, Desalination. 2013.315:156-163
32. Yin Liu, Kaisong Zhang, Rune Bakke, Chunming Li, Haining Liu. Membrane installation for enhanced up-flow anaerobic sludge blanket (UASB) performance. Journal of Bioscience and Bioengineering, 2013.116(3):357-361
33. Jian Huang, Kaisong Zhang*, Kun Wang, Zongli Xie, Bradley Ladewig, Huanting Wang*. Fabrication of polyethersulfone-mesoporous silica nanocomposite ultrafiltration membranes with antifouling properties. Journal of Membrane Science.2012. (423–424):362–370
34. Manying Zhang, Kaisong Zhang*, Bart De Gusseme, Willy Verstraete. Biogenic silver nanoparticles (bio-Ag0) decrease biofouling of bio-Ag0/PES nanocomposite membranes. Water Research. 2012（46）2077-2087
35. Cui Li, Meng Yao, Bin Ren, Kaisong Zhang*. Sensitive and Versatile Detection of the Fouling Process and Fouling Propensity of Proteins on Polyvinylidene Fluoride Membranes via Surface-Enhanced Raman Spectroscopy. Analytical Chemistry. 2011. 1709-1716.
36. Yin Liu, Haining Liu, Li Cui, Kaisong Zhang*.The ratio of food-to-microorganism (F/M) on membrane fouling of anaerobic membrane bioreactors treating low-strength wastewater.Desalination, 297 (2012) 97–103
37. R.S.L. Yee, R.A. Rozendal, K. Zhang, B.P. Ladewig*. Cost effective cation exchange membranes: A review. Chemical Engineering Research and Design. 90 (2012) 950–959
38. Jian Huang, Gangasalam Arthanareeswaran, Kaisong Zhang*. Effect of silver loaded sodium zirconium phosphate (nanoAgZ) nanoparticles incorporation on PES membrane performance. Desalination. 2012(285):100-107
39. Cui Li, Zhang Kai-song*. Surface-enhanced raman spectroscopy study of the fouling propensity of polysaccharide and proteins on PVDF membrane. The Journal of Light Scattering. 2012.24(2): 133-136.
40. Kaisong Zhang, Peng Wei, Meng Yao, Robert Field, Zhanfeng Cui. Effect of the bubbling regimes on the performance and energy cost of flat sheet MBRs. Desalination. 2011 (283):211-216.
41. Jian Huang, Kai-Song Zhang*. The High Flux Poly (m-Phenylene Isophthalamide) Nanofiltration Membrane for Dye Purification and Desalination, Desalination.2011(282):19-26
42. Meng Yao, Pei Wei, Bradley Ladewig, Kaisong Zhang*, Characterization of fouling propensity associated to soluble microbial products in a submerged MBR. Desalination. 2011 (278) 126–131
43. Robert Field, Kaisong Zhang, Zhanfeng Cui, Byung-Kook Hwang.Flat sheet MBRs:analysis of TMP rise and surface mass transfer coefficient. Desalination and water treatment. 2011(35): 82-91
44. Meng Yao, Kaisong Zhang*, Li Cui. Characterization of protein-polysaccharide ratios on membrane fouling. Desalination.2010, 259:11-16
45. Qunshan Wei, Gefu Zhu, Peng Wu, Li Cui, Kaisong Zhang*, Jingjing Zhou, Wenru Zhang. Distributions of typical contaminant species in urban short-term storm runoff and their fates during rain events: A case of Xiamen City.Journal of Environmental Sciences, 2010, 22(4): 533-539
46. Kaisong Zhang, Robert Field, Zhanfeng Cui. Wall shear stress characteristics in air- sparging flat sheet membrane: Effect of bubble size and frequency. Journal of Membrane Sciences. 2009. 332(1-2):30-37
47. Yiwei Ren, Kaisong Zhang*. 2009. How structure changes in fabrication of large size ordered anodic alumina film? Materials Letters. 2009. 63(22):1925-1927
48. Yiwei Ren, Yi Luo, Kaisong Zhang, Gefu Zhu, Xiaolin Tan. Lignin terpolymer for corrosion inhibition of mild steel in 10% hydrochloric acid medium. Corrosion Science, 2008, 50(11):3147-3153
50. Zhang, K. S.; Zhou, Q. X. Toxic effects of Al-based coagulants on Brassica chinensis and Raphanus sativus growing in acid and neutral conditions. Environmental Toxicology. 2005.20(2):179-187
51. Zhang, K. S.; Zhou, Q. X.; Xiao, H. Flocculation performance of a novel synthesized flocculant with low ecological risk. Journal of Environmental Sciences.2004. 16(3): 443-446
Dr Robert Field and Prof. Zhanfeng Cui(Oxford University), Slug bubbling MBR and Membrane fouling
Dr Bradley Ladewig and Prof. Huanting Wang(Monash University), Functional membrane materials
Prof. lingxue Kong (Deakin University), CFD and membrane fouling
Prof.Zongli Xie, Prof. Mathew Hill (CSIRO) Advanced membrane
Meng Yao, Ph.D student
Jian Huang, Ph.D student
Yin Liu, Ph.D student
Jun Xiang, Ph.D student
Guodan Cheng, M.S. student
Manying Zhang,M.S. student
Yanghua Deng, M.S. student
Yiwei Ren, D.E 2010.3 Study on the design, preparation of intestine-like membrane and its anti-fouling characteristics
Peng Wei, M.E. 2010.6 The Investigation on Hydrodynamic Characteristics of Flat Sheet MBR Module with Slug Bubbling