Address: 19 A Yuquan Road, Beijing, 100049
Dr.Hongxun Zhang graduated from the Chemistry Department of Jilin University where he was major in biochemistry and received his Ph.D in environmental sciences from GUCAS. He worked at the Research Center for Eco-Environmental Sciences（RCEES), Chinese Academy of Sciences for 30 years, where he was a head of laboratory of environmental biotechnology as research professor during 1994-2004 and Chairman of Microbial Ecology of ESA(ECOLOGICAL SOCIETY OF CHINA) during 2001-2005. As a visiting scientist, he worked in GSF of Germany in 1984-1985, JICA program of Japan in 1989-1990 and Iowa State University of USA in 2001. In 2004, he moved to GUCAS and joined the faculty as a professor for teaching environmental microbiology and appointed executive Dean of College of Resources and Environment of GUCAS in 2009-2012. He also has a joint position at the Qingdao Institute of Bio-energy & Bioprocess Technology of CAS and serves on the editorial boards of some journals such as the “the ISME journal”, “Chinese Journal of Process Engineering”, “Chinese Journal of Ecology” and so on.
Dr. Zhang’s research interests cover environmental microbiology, microbial ecology and fermentation technology. He achieved several grants from the Minister of science and technology of China (MOST) and Chinese academy of sciences (CAS), which include “New process of citric acid isolation” from National Key Technologies R&D Program, “Induced resistance to plant disease by pectinase extracts from Aspergillus fermentation“ from National High-tech R&D Program (863 program) and “Levoglucosan preparation by pyrolysis of cellulosic biomass” from CAS. In 1997, he received the award of “the State Council special allowance”. So far, he has published more than 80 papers and obtained 8 Chinese invention patents granted, with more than 20 pending.
His current research subjects have “Levoglucosan and his kinase gene as a tracer of cellulosic biomass burning” granted by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (NSFC), “Application of microbial technology to equipment of wastewater treatment ” granted by National Key Technology R&D Program and “Diversity of microorganisms in Soil and water of Zoige Wetland” granted by Chinese Academy of Sciences.
2. Pectinase production by Aspergillus niger using wastewater in solid state fermentation for eliciting plant disease resistance, Bioresource Technology, 95(2004), 49-52
3. Induced resistance to Cladosporium cucumerinum in cucumber by pectinases extract of Penicillium oxalicum , PHYTOPARASITICA, 32 ( 2004 ), 377-387
4. Phenolic compounds from the leaf extract of artichoke and their antimicrobial activites, Journal of Agricultural and food chemistry, 52(2004), 7272-7278
5. Screening and identification of the levoglucosan kinase gene from Aspergillus niger by LC-ESI-MS/MS and RT-PCR, FEMS microbiology letters, 251(2005), 313-319
6. Newly isolated Bacillus gibsonii capable of using sugar beet pulp for alkaline pectinase production， World Journal of Microbiology & Biotechnology , 21(2005), 1483-1486
7. Assessing the impact the biological control agent Bacillus thuringiensis on the indigenous microbial community within the pepper plant phyllosphere, FEMS Microbial Letter, 284(2008)102-108
8. Studies on pyrolysisi of wheat straw residues from ethanol production by solid state fermentation, J. Anal. Appl. Pyrolysis 81 (2008) 243–246
9. Functional assembly of bacterial communities with activity for the biodegradation of an organophosphorus pesticide in the rape phyllosphere, FEMS Microbial Letter, 306(2010)135-143
10.Diversity of methanotrophs in Zoig weltland soil under both anaerobic and aerobic condition, Journal of Environmental Sciences, Vol.22 (8), 2010, 1232-1238
11.Community Structure, Abundance, and Activity of Methanotrophs in the Zoige Wetland of the Tibetan Plateau，（2012）Microbial Ecology，DOI 10.1007/s00248-011-9981-x
12. Diversity, abundance and vertical distribution of methane-oxidizing bacteria(methanotrophs) in the sediments of the Xianghai wetland, Songnen Plain,northeast China,(2012) J Soils Sediments,DOI 10.1007/s11368-012-0610-1
13. Determination of microbial diversity in Daqu, a fermentation starter culture of Maotai liquor, using nested PCR-denaturing gradient gel electrophoresis, World J Microbiol Biotechnol (2012)28:2375-2381
14. Purification and characterization of alkaline pectin lyase from a newly isolated Bacillus clausii and its application in elicitation of plant disease resistance. Applied Biochemistry and Biotechnology, 2012, DOI: 10.1007/s12010-012-9758-9.