Chao Yang, Professor, PhD
Address: Zhong Guan Cun South 4th St, Beijing 100190, China
High Performance Computing
Scientific and Engineering Computing
- PhD in Computer Software and Theory, University of Chinese Academy of Sciences, 2007.
- BSc in Information and Computational Science, University of Science and Technology of China, 2002.
· Laboratory of Parallel Software and Computational Science, Institute of Software, Chinese Academy of Sciences
Deputy Director (June 2016 – Present)
Full Professor (December 2013 – Present)
Associate Professor (November 2009 – December 2013)
Assistant Professor (July 2007 – November 2009)
· Institute of Software, Chinese Academy of Sciences
Member of the Degree Committee (March 2016 – Present)
Member of the Academic Committee (September 2013 – Present)
Guest or Adjunct Positions
· University of Chinese Academy of Sciences
Professor (September 2015 – Present)
· State Key Laboratory of Computer Science, Chinese Academy of Sciences
Professor (December 2013 – Present)
· Guiyang Institute for Information Technology Research (Guiyang Branch, Institute of Software, Chinese Academy of Sciences)
Executive Deputy Director (September 2014 – May 2016)
· Guizhou Institute for Industrial Technology Development
Guest Consultant (December 2016 – Present)
· Department of Mathematics, Hong Kong University of Science and Technology
Visiting Professor (February 2017)
· Division of MCSE (now CEMS), King Abdullah University of Science and Technology
Visiting Professor (April 2011 – May 2011)
Visiting Scholar (October 2010)
· Department of Computer Science, University of Colorado Boulder
Visiting Scholar (October 2007 – January 2013, Periodically)
· Classes taught at Institute of Software, Chinese Academy of Sciences
Spring 2016: High-Performance Scientific Computing (40 hours)
Fall 2013: Advanced Numerical Methods for Parallel Computing (60 hours)
· Classes taught at University of Chinese Academy of Sciences
Fall 2015: Applied PDEs and Scientific Computing (3 hours, guest lecturer)
Fall 2014: Applied PDEs and Scientific Computing (3 hours, guest lecturer)
Fall 2013: Applied PDEs and Scientific Computing (3 hours, guest lecturer)
Honors & Distinctions
· CCF-IEEE CS Young Computer Scientist Award (October 2017)
· CAS Outstanding Science and Technology Achievement Prize (September 2017)
· CAS Specially Appointed Professor (June 2017)
· ACM Gordon Bell Prize (November 2016)
· ISCAS Excellent Graduate Mentors (July 2017, July 2014, twice)
· CAS Lu Jia-Xi Young Talent Award (January 2012)
· ISCAS Distinguished Young Scientist (January 2012)
· 1st Place in HPGMG List, Sunway TaihuLight (November 2017)
· 2nd Place in HPGMG List, Sunway TaihuLight (June 2017)
· 3rd Place in HPCG List, Sunway TaihuLight (June 2016, June 2017, twice)
· 1st Place in HPCG List, Tianhe-2 (November 2014)
. H. Yang, S. Sun, S. Li, C. Yang, A scalable fully implicit framework for reservoir simulation on parallel computers, Comput. Methods Appl. Mech. Eng., 330 (2018), pp. 334-350.
. H. Yang, S. Sun, C. Yang, Nonlinearly preconditioned semismooth Newton methods for variational inequality solution of two-phase flow in porous media, J. Comput. Phys., 332 (2017), pp. 1-20.
. L. Yin, C. Yang, S.-Z. Ma, et al., Parallel numerical simulation of the thermal convection in the Earth’s outer core on the cubed-sphere, Geophys. J. Int’l., 209:3 (2017), pp. 1934-1954.
. P. Zhang, C. Yang, C. Chen, et al., Development of a hybrid parallel MCV-based high-order global shallow-water model, J. Supercomput., 73:6 (2017), pp. 2823-2842.
. H. Fu, L. Gan, C. Yang, et al., Solving global shallow water equations on heterogeneous supercomputers, PLoS ONE, 12:3 (2017), p. e0172583.
. H. Fu, L. Gan, W. Luk, C. Yang, et al., Solving mesoscale atmospheric dynamics using reconfigurable dataflow architecture, IEEE Micro, 37 (2017), pp. 40-50.
. J. Sun, C. Yang, X.-C. Cai, Algorithm development for extreme-scale computing, Nat’l Sci. Rev., 3:1 (2016), pp. 26-27.
. H. Yang, C. Yang, S. Sun, Active-set reduced-space methods with nonlinear elimination for two-phase flow problems in porous media, SIAM J. Sci. Comput., 38:4 (2016), pp. B593-B618.
. J. Huang, C. Yang, X.-C. Cai, A nonlinearly preconditioned inexact Newton algorithm for steady state lattice Boltzmann equations, SIAM J. Sci. Comput., 38:3 (2016), pp. S1701-S1724.
. Y. Liu, C. Yang, F. Liu, et al., 623 Tflop/s HPCG run on Tianhe-2: leveraging millions of hybrid cores, Int’l J. High Perf. Comput. Appl., 30:1 (2016), pp. 39-54.
. Y. Liu, H. Yang, C. Yang, A scalable fully implicit method with adaptive time stepping for unsteady compressible inviscid flows, Comput. Struct., 176 (2016), pp. 1-12.
. H. Fu, J. Liao, J. Yang, L. Wang, Z. Song, X. Huang, C. Yang, et al., The Sunway TaihuLight supercomputer: system and applications, Sci. China Inform. Sci., 59 (2016), pp 1-16.
. J. Huang, C. Yang, X.-C. Cai, Fully implicit method for lattice Boltzmann equations, SIAM J. Sci. Comput., 37:5 (2015), pp. S291-S313.
. X. Zheng, C. Yang, X.-C. Cai, D. Keyes, A parallel domain decomposition-based implicit method for the Cahn–Hilliard–Cook phase-field equation in 3D, J. Comput. Phys., 285 (2015), pp. 55-70.
. W. Xue, C. Yang, H. Fu, et al., Ultra-scalable CPU-MIC acceleration of mesoscale atmospheric modeling on Tianhe-2, IEEE T. Computers, 64 (2015), pp. 2382-2393.
. L. Gan, H. Fu, W. Luk, C. Yang, et al., Solving the global atmospheric equations through heterogeneous reconfigurable platforms, ACM T. Recon. Tech. Sys., 8 (2015), pp. 11:1-11:16.
. H. Yang, C. Yang, X.-C. Cai, Mixed order discretization based two-level Schwarz precondtioners for a tracer transport problem on the cubed-sphere, Comput. Fluids, 110 (2015), pp. 88-95.
. J. Huang, L. Cao, C. Yang, A multiscale algorithm for radiative heat transfer equation with rapidly oscillating coefficients, Appl. Math. Comput., 266 (2015), pp 149–168.
. C. Yang, X.-C. Cai, A scalable fully implicit compressible Euler solver for mesoscale nonhydrostatic simulation of atmospheric flows, SIAM J. Sci. Comput., 36:5 (2014), pp. S23-S47.
. H. Yang, C. Yang, X.-C. Cai, Parallel domain decomposition methods with mixed order discretization for fully implicit solution of tracer transport problems on the cubed-sphere, J. Sci. Comput., 61:2 (2014), pp. 258-280.
. C. Yang, J. Sun, New six-node and seven-node hexagonal finite elements, Appl. Math. Comput., 218:24 (2012), pp. 11763-11774.
. C. Yang, X.-C. Cai, Parallel multilevel methods for implicit solution of shallow water equations with nonsmooth topography on the cubed-sphere, J. Comput. Phys., 230:7 (2011), pp. 2523-2539.
. C. Yang, X.-C. Cai, A parallel well-balanced finite volume method for shallow water equations with topography on the cubed-sphere, J. Comput. Appl. Math., 235:18 (2011), pp. 5357-5366.
. C. Yang, J. Cao, X.-C. Cai, A fully implicit domain decomposition algorithm for shallow water equations on the cubed-sphere, SIAM J. Sci. Comput., 32:1 (2010), pp. 418–438.
. Y. Ao, C. Yang, X. Wang, et al., 26 PFLOPS stencil computations for atmospheric modeling on Sunway TaihuLight, in: Proc. IEEE IPDPS-2017.
. L. Jiang, C. Yang, Y. Ao, et al., Towards highly efficient DGEMM on the emerging SW26010 many-core processor, in: Proc. ICPP-2017.
. C. Yang, W. Xue, H. Fu, et al., 10M-core scalable fully-implicit solver for nonhydrostatic atmospheric dynamics, In: Proc. ACM/IEEE SC-2016, pp 6:1–12,
. P. Zhang, Y. Ao, C. Yang, et al., Pattern-driven hybrid multi- and many-core acceleration in the MPAS shallow water model, in: Proc. ICPP-2015, pp 71–80.
. W. Xue, C. Yang, H. Fu, et. al., Enabling and scaling a global shallow-water atmospheric model on Tianhe-2, in: Proc. IEEE IPDPS-2014, pp. 745-754.
. Q. Sun, C. Yang, Optimization of scan algorithms on multi- and many-core processors, in: Proc. IEEE HiPC 2014.
. C. Yang, W. Xue, H. Fu, et al., A Peta-scalable CPU-GPU algorithm for global atmospheric simulations, in: Proc. ACM SIGPLAN PPoPP-2013, pp. 1-12.