Name: Shiguo Wu (Research Professor)
Birth Date: 28 August 1963
Birth Place, Country: Hubei, China
Institute:Institute of Deep-sea Science and Engineering, Chinese Academy of Sciences
Department:Division of Marine Geophysics and Seafloor Georesources
Address: Room 508, 28 Luhuitou Road, Sanya 57200
Country:People's Republic of China (PRC) Phone:+86-898-88380961
FIELD OF SPECIALIZATION
(1)Sedimentology and sequence stratigraphy, well-log sequence stratigraphy, depositonal facies and prediction of physical properties of reservoir.
(2)Tectonics of passive margin and subduction zone.
(3)Seismology: reflection seismic data processing, inversion and interpretation.
(1) Seismology: seismic survey, sequence stratigraphy, deeewater channel system, mass transport deposits, seismic signatures of cabornate platforms and prediction of reservoir physical properties.
(2) Seafloor tectonics: such as tectonics of margins (backarc basin) and subduction zones.
(3) Deepwater petroleum geology, Gas hydrate and seafloor stability in the deepwater margin: seismic inversion for deepwater hydrocarbon and gas hydrate, architecture and numerical modeling of submarine slide.
University of Hamburg, Germany
Ph.D. in Geology, Institute of Geochemistry & Marine Chemistry, 1995. 10 – 2002. 01
China University of Geosciences (Geosciences College of Wuhan)
Ph.D. in Geology, department of Earth Sciences, 1990. 09 – 1993. 07
M.Sc. in Petroleum Geology, Department of Petroleum Geology & Engineering, 1987. 09 – 1990. 07
B.Sc. in Geology, Department of Geomechanics, 1980. 09 – 1984. 06
RESEARCH AND TEACHING EXPERIENCE
Institute of Deep Sea Sciences and Engineering, Chinese Academy of Sciences
Research Professor, Head of Marine Geophysics and Georesources, 2014. 09 – Present
Institute of Oceanology, Chinese Academy of Sciences
Director, Key Laboratory of Marine Geology & Environment, 2011. 01 – 2014. 08
Deputy Director, Key Laboratory of Marine Geology & Environment, 2006. 01 – 2011. 01
Research Professor, Key Laboratory of Marine Geology & Environment, 2000. 09 – 2006. 01
University of Texas at Austin
Visiting scholar, 2012. 11 – 2012. 12
University of Victoria, Canada
Visiting scholar, School of Ocean and Earth Sciences, 2010.12 – 2011.01
Scripps Institution of Oceanography, USA
Visiting scholar, 2009. 10 – 2009. 12
China University of Petroleum
Distinguished Professor, College of Georesources and Information, 2009. 10 – 2009. 12
Tokyo University, Japan
Visiting Professor, Ocean Research Institute, 2007. 12 – 2008. 01
Visiting Professor, Ocean Research Institute, 2005. 09 – 2005. 10
Shengli Oil Field, Sinopec, China
Researcher, Institute of Geophysics, 2002. 03 – 2005. 02
University of Hamburg, Germany
Researcher, Institute of Geochemistry & Marine Chemistry, 2001. 01 – 2002. 03
Post-Doctoral Researcher, Institute of Geochemistry & Marine Chemistry, 1995 – 1998
Japan Marine Science & Technology Center, Japan
Researcher, 1998 – 2000
South China Sea Institute of Oceanology, Chinese Academy of Sciences
Associate Research Professor, Sedimentary laboratory, 1994 – 1997
Assistant Research Professor, Sedimentary laboratory, 1993 – 1994
Jianghan Oil Field, Sinopec, China
Assistant Engineering, Jianghan Petroleum Institute of Geophysics, 1984 – 1987
1. Gao, J., S. Wu, K. McIntosh, L. Mi, B. Yao, Z. Chen, L. Jia. The continent–ocean transition at the mid-northern margin of the South China Sea. Tectonophysics, 2015, 654: 1-19.
2. Li, W., T. M. Alves, S. Wu, D. Völker, F. Zhao, L. Mi, A. Kopf. Recurrent slope failure and submarine channel incision as key factors controlling reservoir potential in the South China Sea (Qiongdongnan Basin, South Hainan Island). Marine and Petroleum Geology, 2015, 64: 17-30.
3. Ma, B., S. Wu, Q. Sun, L. Mi, Z. Wang, J. Tian. The late Cenozoic deep-water channel system in the Baiyun Sag, Pearl River Mouth Basin: Development and tectonic effects. Deep Sea Research Part II: Topical Studies in Oceanography, 2015, 122: 226-239.
4. Tian, J., S. Wu, F. Lv, D. Wang, B. Wang, X. Zhang, B. Ma. Middle Miocene mound-shaped sediment packages on the slope of the Xisha carbonate platforms, South China Sea: Combined result of gravity flow and bottom current. Deep Sea Research Part II: Topical Studies in Oceanography, 2015, 122: 172-184
5. Zhao, F., T. M. Alves, W. Li, S. Wu. Recurrent slope failure enhancing source rock burial depth and seal unit competence in the Pearl River Mouth Basin, offshore South China Sea. Tectonophysics, 2015, 643: 1-7.
6. Bai, Y., S. Wu, Z. Liu, R. D. Müller, S. E. Williams, S. Zahirovic, D. Dong. Full-fit reconstruction of the South China Sea conjugate margins, Tectonophysics, 2015, 661: 121-135.
7. Chen, C., D. Zhao, S. Wu. Tomographic imaging of the Cascadia subduction zone: Constraints on the Juan de Fuca slab. Tectonophysics, 2015, 647-648: 73-88.
8. Chen, D., S. Wu, D. Völker, D. Dong, H. Shi, S. Zhao, L. Zhu .Tectonically induced, deep-burial paleo-collapses in the Zhujiang Miocene carbonate platform in the northern South China Sea. Marine Geology, 2015, 364: 43-52.
9. Zhao, F., S. G. Wu, Q. L. Sun, M. Huuse, W. Li, Z. J. Wang. Submarine volcanic mounds in the Pearl River Mouth Basin, northern South China Sea. Marine Geology, 2014, 355: 162-172.
10. Fan, J. K., S. G. Wu, G. Spence. Tomographic evidence for a slab tear induced by fossil ridge subduction at Manila Trench, South China Sea. International Geology Review, 2015, 57(5-8): 998-1013.
11. Qian J., X. J. Wang, S. G. Wu, Z. Z. Wang, S. X. Yang. AVO analysis of BSR to assess free gas within fine-grained sediments in the Shenhu area, South China Sea. Marine Geophysical Research, 2014. 35(2): 125-140.
12. Wang, J. L., K. Sain, X. J. Wang, N. Satyavani, S. Wu. Characteristics of bottom-simulating reflectors for Hydrate-filled fractured sediments in Krishna-Godavari basin, eastern Indian margin. Journal of Petroleum Science and Engineering, 2014, 122: 515-523.
13. Li W., S. Wu, D. Völker, F. Zhao, L. Mi, A. Kopf. Morphology, seismic characterization and sediment dynamics of the Baiyun Slide Complex on the northern South China Sea margin. Journal of the Geological Society, 2014, 171(6): 865-877.
14. Wang, X., T. Collett, M. Lee, S. Yang, Y. Guo, S. Wu. Geological controls on the occurrence of gas hydrate from logging and seismic data in the Shenhua area, South China Sea. Marine Geology, 2014, 357: 272-292.
15. Wang, X., M. Lee, T. Collett, S. Yang, Y. Guo, S. Wu. Gas hydrate identified in sand-rich inferred sedimentary section using downhole logging and seismic data in Shenhu area, South China Sea. Marine and Petroleum Geology, 2014, 51: 298-306.
16. Chen, C. X., D. Zhao, S. Wu, Crust and upper mantle structure of the New Madrid Seismic Zone: Insight into intraplate earthquakes. Physics of the Earth and Planetary Interiors, 2014, 230: 1-14.
17. Li, C., S. Wu, Z. Zhu, X. Bao. The assessment of submarine slope instability in Baiyun Sag using grey clustering method. Natural Hazards, 2014, 74 (2): 1179-1190.
18. Sun, Q, S. Wu, J. Cartwright, S. Wang, Y. Lu, D. Chen, D. Dong. Neogene igneous intrusions in the northern South China Sea: Evidence from high-resolution three dimensional seismic data. Marine and Petroleum Geology, 2014, 54: 83-95.
19. Wang L., S. G. Wu, Q. P. Li, D. W. Wang, S. Y. Fu. Architecture and development of a multi-stage Baiyunsubmarine slide complex in the Pearl River Canyon, northern South China Sea. Geo-Marine Letters, 2014, 34(4): 327-343.
20. Wu, S., J. Gao, S. Zhao, T. Lüdmann, D. Chen, G. Spence. Post-rift uplift and focused fluid flow in the passive margin of northern South China Sea. Tectonophysics, 2014, 615: 27-39.
21. Wu, S., Y. Zhen, D. Wang, F. Lü, T. Lüdmann, C. Fulthorp. Architecture, development and geological control of the Xisha carbonate platforms, northwestern South China Sea. Marine Geology, 2014, 350: 71-83.
22. Sun, Q., S. Wu, J. Cartwright, T. Lüdmann, G. Yao. Focused fluid flow systems of the Zhongjiannan Basin and Guangle Uplift, South China Sea. Basin Research, 2013, 25(1): 97-111.
23. Sun, Q., J. Cartwright, S. Wu, D. Chen. 3D seismic interpretation of dissolution pipes in the South China Sea: genesis by subsurface, fluid induced collapse. Marine Geology, 2013, 337(1): 171-181.
24. Wang, D., S. Wu, Z. Qing, G. Spence, F. Lü. Seismic characteristics of the Huaguang mass transport deposits in the Qiongdongnan Basin, South China Sea: Implications for regional tectonic activity. Marine Geology, 2013, 346(11): 165-182.
25. Wang, X., K. Sain, N. Satyavani, J. Wang, M. Ojha, S. Wu. Gas hydrates saturation using the geostatistical inversion in fractured reservoir in the Krishna-Godavari basin, offshore eastern India. Marine and Petroleum Geology, 2013, 45: 224-235.
26. Li, X., L. Fairweather, S. Wu, J. Ren, H. Zhang, X. Quan, T. Jiang, Cheng Zhang, Ming Su, Yunlong He, Dawei Wang. Morphology, sedimentary features and evolution of a large palaeo submarine canyon in Qiongdongnan basin, Northern South China Sea. Journal of Asian Earth Sciences. 2013, 62: 685-696.
27. Lü, C., S. Wu, Y. Yao, C. S. Fulthorpe. Development and controlling factors of Miocene carbonate platform in the Nam Con Son Basin, Southwestern South China Sea. Marine and Petroleum Geology, 2013, 45: 55-68.
28. Wang, X., S. Wu, J. Wang, S. Yang, Z. Wang. Well log anomalies caused by gas hydrate dissociation in the Shenhua area, northern slope of South China Sea. Chinese Journal of Geophysics, 2013, 56(4): 505-515.
29. Dong, D., S. Wu, J. Li, T. Ludmann. Tectonic contrast between the conjugate margins of the South China Sea and the implication for the differential extensional model. Science China Earth Sciences, 2013, 56: 1-6.
30. Chen, D., S. Wu, D. Dong, L. Mi, S. Fu, H. Shi. Focused fluid flow in the Baiyun Sag, northern South China Sea: implications for the source of gas in hydrate reservoirs. Chinese Journal of Oceanology and Limnology, 2013, 31(1):178-189.
31. Lü, C., Y. Yao, S. Wu, D. Dong. Formation and syn-rifting process of the Wan'an Basin, South China Sea. Chinese Journal of Oceanology and Limnology, 2013, 31(1): 190-201.
32. Qian, J., S. Wu, R. Cui. Accuracy of the staggered-grid finite-difference method of the acoustic wave equation for marine seismic reflection modeling. Chinese Journal of Oceanology and Limnology, 2013, 31(1): 169-177.
33. Wang, X., M. Lee, S. Wu, S. Yang. Identification of gas hydrate dissociation from wireline-log data in the Shenhu area, South China Sea. Geophysics. 2012, 77(3): 125-134.
34. Sun, Q., S. Wu, J. Cartwright, D. Dong. Shallow gas and focused fluid flow systems in the Pearl River Mouth Basin, northern South China Sea. Marine Geology. 2012, 315-318: 1-14.
35. Sun, Y., S. Wu, D. Dong, T. Lüdmann, Y. Gong. Gas hydrates associated with gas chimneys in fine-grained sediments of the northern South China Sea. Marine Geology. 2012, 311-314: 32-40.
36. Qian, J., S. Wu, R. Cui. Extension of split perfectly matched absorbing layer for 2D wave propagation in porous transversely isotropic media. Exploration Geophysics. 2012, doi.org/10.1071/EG12002.
37. Qian, J., S. Wu, R. Cui. Accuracy of the staggered-grid finite-difference method of the acoustic wave equation for marine seismic reflection modeling. Chinese Journal of Oceanology and Limnology. 2013, 31(1): 169-177.
38. Lu, C., Y. Yao, S. Wu. Deepwater Canyons Reworked by Bottom Currents: Sedimentary Evolution and Genetic Model. J of Earth Sciences, 2012, 22(5): 1-10.
39. Sun, Q., S. Wu, H. Martin, P. Luo, Y. Lu, T. Qu. The morphologies and genesis of mega-pockmarks near the Xisha Uplift, South China Sea. Marine and Petroleum Geology, 2011, 28: 1146-1156.
40. Zhao, Q., S. Wu, H. Xu, Q. Sun, B. Wang, Y. Sun, F. Cao, X. He. Sedimentary facies and evolution of aeolianites on Shidao Island, Xisha Islands. Chinese Journal of Oceanology and Limnology, 2010, 19: 391-413.
41. Wang, X., D. R. Hutchinson, S. Wu, et al. Gas hydrate saturations estimated from silt and silty-clay sediments at site SH2, Shenhu area, South China Sea. Journal of Geophysical Research - Solid Earth. 2010.
42. Ma, Y., S. Wu, F. Lv, D. Dong, Q. Sun, Y. Lu, M. Gu. Seismic characteristics and development of the Xisha carbonate platforms, northern margin of the South China Sea. Journal of Asian Earth Sciences, 2010, 40: 770-783.
43. Wang, X., S. Wu, et al. Geophysical signatures associated with fluid flow and gas hydrate occurrence in a tectonically quiescent sequence, Qiongdongnan Basin, South China Sea。Geofluid, 2010, 10: 351-368.
44. Xu, N., S. G. Wu, B. Q. Shi, B. Lu, L. Q. Xue, X. J. Wang, Y. Jia. Gas hydrate associated with mud diapirs in southern Okinawa Trough. Marine and Petroleum Geology, 2009, 26: 1413-1418.
45. Wu, S. G., S. Q. Yuan, G. C. Zhang, Y. B. Ma, L. J. Mi. Seismic characteristics of a reef carbonate reservoir and implications for hydrocarbon exploration in deep water of the Qiongdongnan basin, northern South China Sea. Marine and Petroleum Geology, 26(6): 817-823.
46. Sun, Q., S. Wu, F. Lü, S. Yuan. Polygonal faults and their implications for hydrocarbon reservoirs in the southern Qiongdongnan Basin, South China Sea. Journal of Asian Earth Sciences, 2010, 39, 470-479.
47. Yuan, S., S. Wu, T. Lüdmann, G. Yao, F. Lv, F. Cao, H. Wang, L. Li. Fine-grained Pleistocene deepwater turbidite channel system on the slope of Qiongdongnan Basin, northern South China Sea. Marine and Petroleum Geology, 2009, 26:1441-1451.
48. Sun, Q., S. Wu, G. Yao, F. Lü. Characteristics and Formation Mechanism of Polygonal Faults in Qiongdongnan Basin, Northern South China Sea. Journal of Earth Science, 2009, 20(1):180-192.
49. Wu, S., Y. Ma, D. Dong, S. Yuan. et al. The structural evolution and hydrocarbon system in the deepwater of the northern South China Sea margin. Journal of China University of Geosciences, 2009, 20(1):171-179.
50. Okino, K., Y. Ohara, T. Fujiwara, S. M. Lee, K. Koizumi, Y. Nakamura, S. Wu. Tectonics of the southern tip of the Parece Vela Basin, Philippine Sea Plate. Tectonophysics, 2009, 466(3-4): 213-228.
51. Yu, Z., S. Wu, et al. Seismic profiles across the middle Tan-Lu fault zone in the Laizhou Bay, Bohai Sea, eastern China. Journal of Asian Earth Sciences, 2008, 33(5-6): 385-394
52. Wu, S., X. Ni, J. Guo. Balanced Cross Section for Restoration of Tectonic Evolution in the Southwest Okinawa Trough. Journal of China University of Geosciences, 2007, 18(1): 1-10.
53. Wu, S., D. Dong, Z. Yu, D. Zou. Geophysical evaluation methods for buried hill reservoirs in te Jiyang superdepression of the Bohai Bay basin, eastern China. Journal of geophysics and engineering, 2007, 4(4): 148-159.
54. Wu, S., X. Wang, H. K. Wong, G. Zhang. Low-amplitude BSRs and gas hydrate concentration on the northern margin of the South China Sea. Marine Geophysical Research, 2007, 28(2): 127-138
55. Wu, S., N. Takahashi, H. Tokuyama, H. K. Wong. Sedimentary process and sedimentation of deep sea channel in the Zenisu trough, Philippine Sea. Geo-Marine Letters, 2005, 25(25): 230-240.
Prof. G. Spence University of Victoria, Victoria, Canada
Dr. T. Lüdmann University of Hamburg, Hamburg, Germany
Dr. K. McIntosh University of Texas at Austin, Austin, USA
Prof. M. Muller University of Sydney, Sydney, Australia
STUDENTS AND POST-DOCS
PhD Degree (32 Persons)
Jianyong Song, Yuguo Pu, Yunping Li, Xiujuan Wang, Weiqiang Zhu, Yongzhuang Sun, Qinghua Han, Dailiu Wang, Hongjun Yuan, Ning Xu, Dongdong Dong, Chaohua Xu, Shengqiang Yuan, Yubo Ma, Liuzhu Wang, Shuliang Liu, Qiang Zhao, Feng Liu, Zhengjun Yu, Qiliang Sun, Zhiliang Qin, Caili Lv, Yunbao Sun, Duanxin Chen, Jianke Fan, Zhen Yang, Lei Wang, Qiao Zhang, Chuanxu Chen, Jiliang Wang, Jinwei Gao, Jie Tian.
Master Degree (15 Persons)
Junhua Guo, Xianglong Ni, Shanshan Chen, Yanhui Fu, Peng Yan, Weijie Zhong, Shujuan Zhao, Ying Wang, Hanting Zhao, Guangxu Zhang, Xueyan Zhao, Liankai Jia, Yucheng Huang, Yi Luan, Zeman Chen.
Post-doc (5 Persons)
Dawei Wang, Zhen Jia, Lingmin Cao, Xuebin Du, Xiangquan Li.
PhD Students (5 Persons)
Fang Zhao, Benjun Ma, Hongli Wang,Wanli Chen,Xintong Xie
Master Students (3 Persons)
Yangbing Xie, Qin Qin,Sen Yang
Honors & Distinctions
2015 The first level of the "515 Talents Project" in Hainan Province
2015 Ocean outstanding science and technology books
2013 Special government allowances of the State Council in China
2009 Outstanding scientific and technical workers of Shandong Province
2008 Qingdao science and Technology Award
2008 Talents in Qingdao
2005 Taishan Scholars of Shandong Province